PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Mechanic97
09-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Hey Guys, I just joined the 3WW, and i guess i need 10 posts or whatever. I got a project trike. 1984 Yamaha Tri-Moto 225DX. What is the best way to un-stick her? When I got to her she had been sitting for 10-15 years with gas in the tank. Now its in god knows what gear with a stuck engine. Any ideas?

Brandon

GunsShooting
09-03-2013, 02:09 AM
Welcome. I got one of those recently myself, just sold it to a bro in law last Saturday. Good machine, once you get it unstuck.

I would start by putting penetrating oil in through the spark plug hole. Probably ought to remove the valve covers and see if they will move, maybe lube them and fiddle with them to make them move.

Russ

dougspcs
09-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Transmission fluid or penetrating oil in the cylinder and let it sit a few days, then remove the pull start and turn the crank using a socket and bar.

Use only a moderate amount of force..too much and you'll break stuff and make sure to turn only in the direction if rotation!!

If that doesn't work you'll have to remove the head and hit the top of the piston using a block of wood and a hammer.

Mechanic97
09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I have taken the recoil off and looked. There is a 19mm bolt there, should I stick my ratchet on that or should I work around it. I also hooked it up to a battery and the neutral light came on. Should i trust it?

-Brandon

GunsShooting
09-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I don't see why not.

Russ