PDA

View Full Version : 225dx battary charging issues

BigDave
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
bought a Yamaha 225dx a wail back and was thought I was all done working on it when all of a sudden the brand new battery I bought I had to keep charging it. I have done the usually Google search and found people saying it is the voltage rectifier, tried to use a multimeter to see if it was bad but I don't exactly understand what to do.
any information would be appreciated before I go and spend 50 buck on a new one

NeverLift
09-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Connect the leads to the battery turn the meter to DC volts. Watch the meter and start the trike it should start charging the battery. As you slowly rev the motor the voltage should go up and stop at 13-14 Volts DC if it goes higher than 14 the regulator/rectifier is bad. If it doesn't charge at all it's either the stator, regulator/rectifier or bad connection in the wire harness.
Leave the meter connected and turn it to AC Volts. You should not see any AC voltage at the battery if you do its a bad rectifier/regulator. I hope this helps you out.

BigDave
09-04-2013, 02:36 PM
ok tried the tests and when I rev the engine it is reading 14.3-14.6 volts and when I switch it to ACV I get 29.1 volts thanks for the help. now my next question is there a way to test it with out putting it on the bike, I don't want to drive to the nearest atv salvage yard (an hour away (arts parts)) and spend 50 bucks on one to get it home to find that that one does not work.
thanks for the help any more infor. is appreciated

NeverLift
09-04-2013, 03:43 PM
So the 14.3-14.6 is good its regulating voltage. The rectifier is the component that failed thus the ac voltage at the battery.
Set your meter to diode check (if you have it) or ohms.
Red meter lead to R/Y wire and black meter lead to R wire general spec for a diode is .3-.8 ohms.
Reverse meter leads and it should be open no continuity. If you do this to yours (BAD)you should get a an ohm reading both ways.

This a link to your wire diagram
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Wiring/YTM225DXKDXLDXN.jpg

BigDave
09-05-2013, 01:09 PM
so went out and tried it on the one that is currently on the bike and did not get continuity at all both ways tied the other side of the plug just to make sure it was not my meter and had continuity there. so I have no idea what this means if you could help with this much would be appreciated
thanks for all the help

NeverLift
09-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I probably gave you the wrong wires to test then. I would need to reference my MMI notes without having a service manual. However those notes are nowhere near me till the weekend. Maybe someone with a manual will chime in.

NeverLift
09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/ytm200-225-fm200l.pdf

I found a manual here is the link. Go to the electrical section it will it will help a lot.
The wire colors I told you were wrong.
positive lead to the red wire/ negative lead to the white wire you should have continuity .3-.8ohms
reverse the leads and it should be open no continuity.

BigDave
09-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I had no idea that the head and tail light where tired into the recharging system. I have an LED aftermarket taillight and disconnected the original headlight and replaced with a LED light wired off the battery could this cause that problem I am having?

BigDave
09-05-2013, 03:20 PM
even with the new wires tested I still have no conductivity either way on the one that is currently on my bike.

NeverLift
09-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't think the LED's will effect the charging. Did the link to the manual work I would just fallow their diagnostics.

BigDave
09-06-2013, 01:43 AM
fallowed the diagnostics and going to the salvage yard today to see if they have a working one, at this point I cant see it being anything else that could be doing this
thanks again for all the help and the manual I have been looking for but too cheap to buy
maybe see you on the lakes this winter

NeverLift
09-06-2013, 05:21 PM
What part of Wi are you from? I'm near the MN border 5 min off 94