PDA

View Full Version : New member with Honda 70 issues

BillyBon3s
09-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Hey everyone,

I have been reading some of your blogs for a while now, but I have ran into a problem with my 1981 Honda ATC 70. I bought this thing for $200 and it was in pieces, literally in a bucket. I downloaded the manual and began ordering parts and putting it together. I got the timing down, gapped the points (great spark), have about 110 psi for compression and when I turn it over with a drill gas will eventually run out of the overflow. I even have tried starting fluid to get it to pop, but it won't. Honestly doesn't even seem like it's trying to run, am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

cjh
09-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Have you checked your carb float and float needle ? You could try taping it a few times with something if your lucky it will come unstuck. If that doesn't work you'll have to open it up make sure the float is level with bottom half of the carb and you can clean off the needle. Hope this helps

fastatc70
09-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Even if the carb was bad it would still start with starting fluid and a drill. I don't know. You said the timing was good? New spark plug?

shortline10
09-08-2013, 07:46 AM
New points and condenser ? Make sure you replaced them even if they look good and show spark .

captainweezy
09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
I have to agree with shortline, even if they look good you should replace them for as cheap as they sell for. Need a pullstart? I have one if interested i would sell. Welcome to the site.

rg97
09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
X3 on the points. Man o man i would love to be where you are. I would take a drive to powroll once a day :D

BillyBon3s
09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I appreciate all the replies, I did replace the points and condenser. I also replaced the coil, but through testing I ended up frying it and am back to the original, but still has great spark. The timing is set, I hit top dead center on the compression stroke, the timing notch and the O line up when the flywheel is on T. Thanks for the offer on the pull start, but I do have one. I just got tired of pulling the cover on and off to adjust the points. Could the tappets not be set right? I set them at .05mm. I appreciate any help, about to take it to a mechanic but really wanted to accomplish it myself.

fastatc70
09-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Spark is good. If it is in running order mechanically it will start on starting fluid. Is there a large air leak? Is the intake valve not opening is the exhaust plugged. Mouse nest. Is there an exhaust on it? You said the compression was 110 psi? Sorry if I am repeating my self just thinking out loud.

fastatc70
09-08-2013, 05:59 PM
How much for the pull start?

cjh
09-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Even if the carb was bad it would still start with starting fluid and a drill. I don't know. You said the timing was good? New spark plug?

Your right I somehow didn't read that part I was addressing the overflow. It was pretty late when I was typing.

BillyBon3s
09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Had a breakthrough guys, SHE'S ALIVE!!!! I now have a different problem. It starts pretty easily but the idle screw and air/fuel screw doesn't seem to do much. It runs better and is more responsive when the choke or butterfly is closed. I didn't put air cleaner on it, should I put it on to adjust carb?Also there is a good size exhaust leak, but I have a gasket on the way, could that effect it at all? I also put my hand where the air filter goes on and seems to have a lot of fuel on it? Is this normal?thanks everyone for the responses.

shortline10
09-09-2013, 07:21 AM
If its the stock carb it needs the factory air box to run correctly that's including the filter , those motors need lots of intake back pressure to run properly .

Had a breakthrough guys, SHE'S ALIVE!!!! I now have a different problem. It starts pretty easily but the idle screw and air/fuel screw doesn't seem to do much. It runs better and is more responsive when the choke or butterfly is closed. I didn't put air cleaner on it, should I put it on to adjust carb?Also there is a good size exhaust leak, but I have a gasket on the way, could that effect it at all? I also put my hand where the air filter goes on and seems to have a lot of fuel on it? Is this normal?thanks everyone for the responses.

BillyBon3s
09-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks shortline, put the filter on and adjusted the carb. She is running good, now to work on the cosmetics. Kids are going to have a blast this weekend. Thanks again everyone for you input.