PDA

View Full Version : New Member with a great find!

mrhappy96
09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
So I've owned a 1984 Big Red for a few years and anytime I've had a question I've searched google and the best answers always came from this forum, which means its time to join.

Earlier this week I was looking at a few websites of dealers around me looking for a 4 wheeler and plow when I decided to look around Craigslist. One of the first posts was for a 1985 250SX that ran and drove, for $100.00. I didn't believe it but sent the guy an email and he called back about a half hour later. Told me it needed a new front tire but I could drive it in the back of my truck. The next day I showed up with 5 twenty dollar bills and this what I got.

I couldn't believe what I was getting. The guy was in his 50's and just didn't want it anymore. I told him it was too good to be true but he had no problem selling it for that price.

The trike has a few problems, electric start doesn't work, needs a front tire and brakes all around. But other than that the plastics are in above average shape and everything is complete. I've been zipping around the yard and it has a lot more get up and go compared to the big red.

So for my first post I wanted to share my great find. Thanks for all the great information and trike on!

ericmreimer
09-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Man that's amazing! Definitely keep us posted on the starting issue when you decide to tackle it, I'm sure we can help!

UPNATM
09-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Damn!!! What a steal! You did great, that is a clean looking SX, congrats.

loshe191
09-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Nice! You got a very good deal there .

NO-SCALES
09-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Nice deal man, cant beat that right there

tripledog
09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Three words; nice, Nice, NICE! Awesome deal... good for you!

Ghostv2
09-08-2013, 11:59 PM
You cant even get a non running sx for $100. What a score, enjoy it.

Big G
09-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Now I see why your username is 'Mr. Happy'...I'd be too if I found a deal like that! Ha ha :p

ps2fixer
09-10-2013, 06:59 AM
I bought this one for $200 lol. Listed as a big red (actually a sx with BR plastics/front end + weld job). Rear tires were knobby style and dryrotted, but my cousin claimed them instantly, so on went the only spare tires that fit lol.

Have you looked into the starting issue at all yet? I have some parts for these and big reds, so I might have what you need.

When you hit the start button does it do anything at all? If not, neutral light on? If not battery or neutral switch (or wires to it).

You could jump the starter direct and see if it atleast spins the engine over. If it don't spin I have another starter, if the gears are bad, sadly I don't think I have any more spares.

If it just free wheels (spins but don't turn the engine over), that should be a sign that the one way bearing for the starter gear is shot that goes on the mag. I have one of them.

There were a few posts here not long ago about a no start issue when using the starter, but kick start worked fine. I think most suggestions was checking ground wires and making sure the battery is good and strong, and possibley CDI box.

Let us know how it goes :)

mrhappy96
09-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I haven't done too much with the trike because I work roughly 65 hours a week. The neutral light comes on and when I hit the start button nothing happens.

I know the battery is strong because I took the battery out of my big red to test and the got same result as the battery that came with it, the SX battery also started the big red.

Tomorrow is a day off so I hope to mess with the starter a bit, anymore ideas on where to start would be great. Thanks guys!

UPNATM
09-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I would check the switch first, it could be just a bad connection. Mine was all dirty and corroded, but after a quick cleanup it works great.

ps2fixer
09-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I would go with the switch as well for starters. I don't think the actual starters in these ever go out lol, I could be wrong though :). The solenoid for the starter could cause it too. I double checked in the service manual, there is a fuse in the starter circuit too.

This is from the service manual :).

Starter motor will not turn
1. Dead Battery
2. Faulty ignition switch
3. Faulty starter switch
4. Faulty neutral switch
5. Faulty starter relay switch
6. Loose or disconnected wire or cable

mrhappy96
09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Switch is fine, minus where a spider decided to use that area to lay eggs sometime ago. I was going to look into it more but mother nature decided it was a great time to rain.

ps2fixer
09-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Haha, well down the the LP it is 96F and sunny sky's :)