PDA

View Full Version : Atc 110 Frame Swap Project - With Pictures

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 03:58 PM
I rode my 85 110 really hard for a couple days straight. I had a dried out rear Bering that made the axel a little hard to turn. After riding it for 2 days straight, the Bering started to make weird noises and lock up. It got free, after the Bering was destroyed. Making my rear axel wabble all over the place. And my chain fall off. I had an 84 frame with a good rear axel sitting in my shed. So I decided that I would swap frames. I finished the project in about 5 hours. It wasn't very hard to do. I will be posting pictures of the progress and explane what I had done between/in each picture.

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I started to strip down the replacement frame. I took off the handle bars, took out all the wiring, and I removed the brake cable (the one that goes up to the handle bars, because it was locked up. The foot brake works fine though. I began taking some parts off the complete one also.176928176929176930

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Next, I removed the engine and wiring harness from the 110. Then I put in place under the new frame.

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
I installed all the wiring, then I mounted the engine. I also put the headlight, handle bars, throttle, and kills witch on.

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 04:23 PM
I got my rear tires on. Then I took out the front axel and tire to put on the new frame. The axel was hard to get out, because one of the bolts was rusted into place. I ended up pushing the axel through and out the other side, because it didn't want to come out the easy way. Then I put it on the new frame, and got my fender on! After this, my 110 was looking pretty complete and my old frame was almost bare!

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I put my seat and gas tank on, and took it for a little ride. It was doing pretty good! And I was surprised I didn't have to mess with the wiring at all after installing it. It had spark! All I had left, was the exhaust and rear grab bar.

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 04:33 PM
I took the grab bar off of the old frame, and put it on the new one. All I have left, is the muffler. I haven't been able to put on the muffler because I'm sick, but I will upload some better pictures of it complete.

Jwheeler
09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Hey you want to come to Calif, I got about 40 90-110's that need to be disassemble ?

3wheelers
09-09-2013, 05:15 PM
It's finished. I've owned this 3 wheeler for about a year, and I love it. I have more fun on it than I do my 200X's. It sat for a couple months because the chain broke off. Hah! But recently I got it back going with a new chain. When the Bering went bad, I didn't want to let it sit again, so the next day I swapped the frame. And it's back up and going again! Thanks for viewing everyone. Here are some pictures of it finished:

ericmreimer
09-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Good job on the pictures! These things are a blast!

ps2fixer
09-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Nice work, only thing I don't quite understand is why couldn't you just swap the bearing carrier and the axle if needed, or just put new bearings in?

3wheelers
09-11-2013, 10:18 PM
I was going to do that, but I wasn't sure how to remove the rear axel and all it's components and then put them back in the other frame. I figured it would be easier to just swap frames. Plus, the new frame had good brakes. The old frame never had brakes, and they needed a lot of work and rust removal to work. So I just swapped frames.

ps2fixer
09-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Not a problem really, the big thing is you got it going again :).

I have hulled several different models of atcs in my car (high mpg :)), and the main requirement for most models is just remove the rear axle, so it isn't all that hard if it isnt' rusted up too bad or welded up. Simply put, remove rear tires/hubs, take off all guards (brake and chain guard), take off the 2 axle nuts, and the whole axle slides out. I'm not sure about the bearing holder if it is removable on that model or not. I'm thinking the 185s I took down had 4 bolts that held everything on for the rear axle.

I have some 110s, a 125m and a 185s I'm parting out, if you need any parts, let me know and I'll check if I have it and if it interchanges. Main thinsg I don't have are fenders, seat or gas tank, except for the 125m.