PDA

View Full Version : 1984 honda 250r

R.J.M.
09-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Got a lead on an air cooled R, never rode one and know nothing about them but it looks to be a clean trike and I'm getting a complete parts trike with it. Says it needs a new stator and that's it.....what are the ups and downs to the air cooled 250r's? I will post pics when the deal goes thru, don't want to jinx myself.

Bren_downe
09-09-2013, 06:39 PM
All ups… no downs! Foolers are the shiz! Honestly I've never ridden a water pumper so I can't really compare. If its a good price than why not! Air cooled models are a little simpler
To work on, not having the radiator and all that jazz. If your coming from slower trikes
Like hardtails it's a great step forward, they have plenty of "scoot"!

R.J.M.
09-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks Bren....let me ask u something, If u had to choose between that or a 1987 Honda 200x both are very clean.....which would you choose

Bren_downe
09-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I would go with the R for sure! Much better parts availability and still
Some after market goodies available if you hunt and are patient. The 86-87 200x is rarer and there wasn't a ton of aftermarket parts made. All depends on what your looking for. If you want a showpiece to dump money into I'd go with the x. If you want a badass 2 stroke hell rippin rider… I'd go with the R.

In my first post I meant to say that the 84s major downfall seems to be its age. The R got better every year(debatable), higher compression bigger carb, better suspension…yadda yadda yadda.

Not that the x wouldn't be fun, it all depends on what your looking for.
You said that you don't know much about the air cooled R's, have you ever ridden a two stroke or an R for that matter? The power band is ADDICTIVE!

Ghostv2
09-09-2013, 11:04 PM
I have to agree with Bren, the power band on a 2-stroke is addictive.
I have never ridden a 2-stoke trike though, just them pesky 4 wheeled death traps. ;)

ATC ADDICTED
09-09-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't know,,, its a toss up between the 87 200x and the 84 250r... I own a 83 250r "same bike as the 84 250r" and a 86 200x "same bike as the 87 200x".... ive ridden both at their top end.... and I have to say the x will beat my r in a long flat out long distance straight run,,, but the r is way more fun to ride and eats the x off the line and in a 1/8mile drag... the power band in the air cooled r is short and snappy while the torque in the x will flat amaze you.... my 200x is the wheelie queen while the r is my fast mover, unless im riding one of the tecates. id say id depends on condition of the 2 bikes but I think id take the x first ,,, just to have that rarest of the rare trike,,,, those 83-84 250r's are out there by the tons,,,, not many of those 86-87 200x's. which brings you to the next and last deciding factor for most others.... availability of parts,,,, good luck finding anything motor wise besides pistons if it brakes.... ive been told xr200 parts are the same but haven't been able to verify that........ Id go with the x and store it ,,, then buy a 83-84 250r

Gripit'n'ripit
09-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Own an 85 200x and several 250r's. Personally, I love the R's, but their some what awkward when riding in the deep woods without decent trails. Open spaces, trails, sand and quarries. They like to 'grip it and rip it', not cruise along at slower speeds. The 2 stoke can be a little more maintenance at times, but is FAR EASIER to work on and greater availability of parts. Easier to build up and modify IMHO. ATC ADDICTED gave a good description.

ATC ADDICTED
09-10-2013, 08:33 AM
there is no comparison between a 85 200x and 86 200x,,,, they are completely different bikes with completely different motors and ride and handle completely different...... 6 speed trans, higher comp piston, bigger bore cylinder, different cam, ect, ect, ect .... comparing the 84-85 200x to the 86-87 200x is like comparing the 1-2 gen 250r to the 3 gen 250r... to many differences to make it a fair comparison,,, like apples to oranges .....witch ever you decide ,,, im sure you will love it.... id love the 200x more if it was my choice

jb2wheels
09-10-2013, 10:27 AM
I haven't had a fooler since the 80s. I read somewhere some of them have tranny issues. Might be worth reading up on.

If I read your post right, you're looking at a non-running trike, so you can't really check the tranny. Price accordingly.

I say, on the plus side, the suspension on the 83/84 is light years ahead of the 81/82 and no H20 complexity if that's an issue for you.

I've gotten old and soft. For trail riding, I prefer the four strokes - 200X, 350X, etc. For duning, I prefer the 2 strokes until I get tired of fanning the clutch and working the shifter, then I want the 4 stroke.

R.J.M.
09-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the input from everyone unfortunately the 250r deal fell thru and the guy with the 200x wont return my call. I have owned several trx 250r's and have rode 3rd gen atc R's so I know the power a 2 stroke provides. Guess ill just have to be patient and wait for another deal. thanks again