PDA

View Full Version : favorite OLD country Singer! who was yours?

badass350x
09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Who's your favorite country singer from the 60's' 70's '80's? Here's a few of mine!
George Jones.
Johnny Lee.
Merle Haggard
Waylon Jennings.

Just to name a few!! Name yours...

bkm
09-09-2013, 06:34 PM
This is right in my wheelhouse.

Waylon Jennings
Conway Twitty
George Jones
Marty Robbins
Don Williams

And many more. My list of semi-old includes Randy Travis, Clint Black, George Strait, ect.

RIDE-RED 250r
09-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Cash, Haggard, and BKM brings up a singer who is in my opinion highly under-rated... Don Williams, Charlie Daniels . Those are a few of my top favorites, in no particular order..

jays375
09-09-2013, 06:56 PM
What no Johnny Cash or David Allan Coe or Charlie Daniels?I like those along with Merle Haggard,Waylon Jennings,Willie Nelson.For a little newer it would be Hank Jr and Alabama.

badass350x
09-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Cash, Haggard, and BKM brings up a singer who is in my opinion highly under-rated... Don Williams, Charlie Daniels . Those are a few of my top favorites, in to particular order..

I agree with you on Don Williams, just seen him in concert last Wednesday night here in Tucson he was Awesome sounded just like the day in his prime!

bkm
09-09-2013, 07:36 PM
What no Johnny Cash or David Allan Coe or Charlie Daniels?I like those along with Merle Haggard,Waylon Jennings,Willie Nelson.For a little newer it would be Hank Jr and Alabama.I love Johnny, but he bridges so many music genres that I never think of him as just Old School Country. To me he is the gateway to classic country music. People who don't want to admit that they listen to classic country will admit they listen to Johnny because he's socially accepted. But his music opens the door to a wider range of classic country.

bkm
09-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Vern Gosdin
John Conlee
Jerry Reed who in my opinion is one of the best "Pickers" of all time
Travis Tritt
Mark Chestnut

Dirtcrasher
09-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Johnny Cash..............

hoosierlogger
09-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Roger miller and Loretta Lynn. Two favorites of mine.

badass350x
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Moe Bandy and Joe stampley!!

Ray price is a big time favorite.

briano
09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Johnny Horton, Marty Robbins, John Conlee, David Alan Coe, Hank Sr., there's so many good ole country singers.

atc007
09-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Alabama :) And the entire cast of Hee Haw !!

Slingblade
09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Waylon is my favorite. Merle, Cash, Marty Robbins, Charlie Rich, Don Willams, Ronnie Milsap,...

Patsy Cline, Linda Ronstadt, Loretta, and Dolly Parton

RIDE-RED 250r
09-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Vern Gosdin
John Conlee
Jerry Reed who in my opinion is one of the best "Pickers" of all time
Travis Tritt
Mark Chestnut

NO DOUBT! I can't believe I forgot to list Jerry! Terrific picker, one of the absolute best.. Right there with 2 other guys I like ALOT.. Chet and Roy... If any of you guys have to ask their last names, you wouldn't understand! ;) Let's not forget Buck either...

SUCKS so many of these guys are gone now!! :(

Roger Miller... I think he would have been a great guy to sit down and have a beer with...

Any of you guys ever see that old Statler Brothers Christmas special made back in the mid 80's? Roger Miller was on it, love his Christmas story he told... They had Merle on it too... Watched that when I was a kid growing up. My family is sort of musical.. Things like that were just the way it was for us growing up. I still dust off that old VHS and watch that one every Christmas, now with my kids....

bkm
09-10-2013, 06:50 PM
You have to check out this version of Wabash Cannonball. My favorite song by Jerry.

"I'm gonna sing, get out the way" lol I laughed my trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro off at that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCE48O6U4Yw

This is also one of my favorite Waylon covers. I like Kenny's version, but Waylon knocked it out of the park as usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d9DfnJwRNk

83 200e
09-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Randy Travis!

bkm
09-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Now let me tell you: if you're ever ridin' down in south of Texas,
Decide to stop an' drink some Colorado Kool-Aid,
An' maybe talk to some Mexicans,
An' you get the urge to get a little tough,
Better make damn sure you got your knife proof ear-muff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fof0FeJgjnY

Worden18
09-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Tom T. Hall
Conway Twitty
Loretta Lynn
Glen Campbell

D-dub
09-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Dave Dudley and Johnny Paycheck, also Wilf Carter and Mel Tillis. Anyone mention Kris Kristopherson, The Hawk Ronnie Hawkins

El Camexican
09-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Stompin' Tom Conners and J.C. come to mind

threewheelin-feelin
09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Johnny Cash and Hank jr. for old school country. i think alot of people consider charlie daniels southern rock. i know he goes on my southern rock list right under lynyrd skynyrd

86T3
09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I saw this thread when it came out and my brain went into overdrive. So much so that i coyldnt come up with complete thoughts. I've always been big into older country music but living in the shithole of NY there were no real good stations. There s one AM station that has been around forever but they play too much Whispering Bill and the like for my taste. About 6 years ago i made the 2nd best decision of my life and bought an xm radio amd a lifetime subscription. Outlaw country is my favorite station but i do listen to willies place from time to time. Outlaw country completely turned my musical taste on end. I learned about a lot of the songwriters who had many songs i had known previously but disnt know who wrote them. Jerry jeff walker, townes vanzandt, guy clark, billy joe shaver, gram parsons are all awesome but not as well known as they should be. I like the classics too, i saw george jones twice, met him in his bus the first time. Merle haggard was my first concert ever. Hank sr, is probably my all time favorite though. I even named my company after one of his songs. IMO, he s the most influential singer songwriter ever and is the first ever "rock star".

badass350x
09-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Hey let's not forget about Jim Reeve's / Charlie Pride "kiss Angel good morning"...

Lord Letto 20
09-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Billy Ray Cyrus
Garth Brooks
Reba McEntire
Stompin' Tom Conners
Conway Twitty
Loretta Lynn
Randy Travis
Kenny Rogers
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams
Patsy Cline
Merle Haggard
June Carter

And more, not really into country music, but I like listening to it, both new and old. (Like I have little choice, both my mom and Sister in law are into country)

keister
09-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Dave Dudley
Yesss!

Hank sr, is probably my all time favorite though. I even named my company after one of his songs. IMO, he s the most influential singer songwriter ever and is the first ever "rock star".
Do tell?! Kaw-Liga? Jambalaya?

Badass thread, Badass350X! It's also right in my wheelhouse and definitely one of my favorite topics. But, did we just go 2 pages with no mention of Willie Nelson?

I have always been a No Show Jones guy - lost track of how many times I have seen him. In the past few years I have been realizing more and more how much I love Waylon's music. His "Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand" is to me, the anthem of riding a 3 wheeler (see how I slipped that in there).

For the most part, you guys put together a pretty inclusive list. I would add Bobby Bare, Earl Thomas Conley, George Strait, and Mickey Gilley. Also, now that he is gone, I am realizing just how great Chris LeDoux was. If you never got a chance to see him live, you missed out. He didn't just sing cowboy songs, he WAS A COWBOY. His shows featured a mechanical bull on stage and it was freaking amazing!

Finally, I think one important aspect was overlooked (for the most part) in this thread........ My love affair with Lynn Anderson began as a little boy listening to her on 8-track in a Ford LTD. Tammy Wynette's voice was nearly perfect in "Something to Brag About." Dottie West, Shelly West, Billie Jo Spears, Donna Fargo, Pam Tillis, Sweethearts of the Rodeo, Kathy Mattea, Roseanne Cash, Crystal Gale...... I could go on and on, but I know I can't top Tanya Tucker, so I will end with her.

badass350x
09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=keister;1253523]Yesss!

Badass thread, Badass350X! It's also right in my wheelhouse and definitely one of my favorite topics. But, did we just go 2 pages with no mention of Willie Nelson?

I have always been a No Show Jones guy - lost track of how many times I have seen him. In the past few years I have been realizing more and more how much I love Waylon's music. His "Don't You Think This Outlaw Bit's Done Got Out of Hand" is to me, the anthem of riding a 3 wheeler (see how I slipped that in there).

For the most part, you guys put together a pretty inclusive list. I would add Bobby Bare, Earl Thomas Conley, George Strait, and Mickey Gilley. Also, now that he is gone, I am realizing just how great Chris LeDoux was. If you never got a chance to see him live, you missed out. He didn't just sing cowboy songs, he WAS A COWBOY. His shows featured a mechanical bull on stage and it was freaking amazing!

Finally, I think one important aspect was overlooked (for the most part) in this thread........ My love affair with Lynn Anderson began as a little boy listening to her on 8-track in a Ford LTD. Tammy Wynette's voice was nearly perfect in "Something to Brag About." Dottie West, Shelly West, Billie Jo Spears, Donna Fargo, Pam Tillis, Sweethearts of the Rodeo, Kathy Mattea, Roseanne Cash, Crystal Gale...... I could go on and on, but I know I can't top Tanya Tucker, so I will end with her.[/QUO

George Jones was always Awesome in concert I have a hat and a few shirts signed by him at his bus also! Funny you mentioned Waylon outlaw sh$t is got out of hand I always thought the same thing how funny is that,, great song!!

tri again
09-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm getting hooked on country / folk songs that tell funny stories.

I heard a rumor about 'el paso' and marty robbins.
...so the story goes, he was on a family trip in a station wagon full of kids crossing Texas
NOwhere near el paso.
I can picture him, with screamin' kids in the back and 'wayback' and just adding verse after verse..and endless miles, which is why almost everone needs the words to that song to be able to perform it.

bkm
09-12-2013, 05:58 PM
'el paso' and marty robbins One of my favorites. I love all of his Gunfighter songs.

Jerm1179
09-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Boxcar Willie? :wondering:lol:

badass350x
09-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Here's a favorite of mine nobody has mentioned!
Red Sovine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoTLwrm9QE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MRSOUND
09-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Here's a favorite of mine nobody has mentioned!
Red Sovine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoTLwrm9QE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Wow, that's a flashback! Believe it or not I have this song on 45 from back in the day! I was probably 10 yrs old when the CB rage was on. I also have CB Savage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oG2o1jNrJY
As well as Convoy by CW McCall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPTWZQv0liY
There for a while there where a lot trucker story telling songs being played. Still enjoy hearing them.

86T3
09-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Yesss!

Finally, I think one important aspect was overlooked (for the most part) in this thread........ My love affair with Lynn Anderson began as a little boy listening to her on 8-track in a Ford LTD. Tammy Wynette's voice was nearly perfect in "Something to Brag About." Dottie West, Shelly West, Billie Jo Spears, Donna Fargo, Pam Tillis, Sweethearts of the Rodeo, Kathy Mattea, Roseanne Cash, Crystal Gale...... I could go on and on, but I know I can't top Tanya Tucker, so I will end with her.

Lost Highway Apiary

RIDE-RED 250r
09-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Red Smith! Love Nitro Express :beer

badass350x
09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Freddy Fender, wasted days wasted nights!

bkm
09-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Dwight Yoakam. Nuff said. :w00t:

bkm
09-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Freddy Fender, wasted days wasted nights!I love "before the next teardrop falls".

badass350x
09-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Dwight Yoakam. Nuff said. :w00t:

O yes,, "Streets of Bakersfield" with buck!!

dustrunner
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
dan seals and kitty wells.

6speedthumper
09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
I still consider George Strait, & Randy Travis to be "classic" or "old school" country. Seen George twice in concert. Man is a real class act. Others are Don Williams, Dwight Yokam, and Ronny Milsap.

probed_out
10-04-2013, 09:40 PM
I cant really say I have a favorite old country singer pretty much all of the older country was pretty darn good

if randy travis is considered classic then why hasn't anyone said ledox or bobby bare?

86T3
10-04-2013, 11:27 PM

Went out last night and saw Billy Joe Shaver. He s 73 and still sounds pretty good. Told a lot of stories, it was a realy good show.