PDA

View Full Version : 200x info needed

kodiak47630
09-10-2013, 12:29 AM
I have a 1984 200x that I am wanting to mod. I'm am looking to get a 6" extended swing arm and get a larger rear sprocket does anybody know were to find these part. Also my electrical system is pushing to much voltage to the light and blew both the headlight and the tail light not sure what is causing it any info would be appreciated.

CodyRosa
09-10-2013, 01:31 AM
You could always make your own swingarm by just extending the one you currently have, find someone that could possibly do that for you OR look for one on ebay. For a larger rear sprocket, try ebay once again. I have tried searching for some but could never find them.. so i'm no help there. As for why your headlight/taillight blew out is because the 200x doesn't have a regulator. You need to have a higher output bulb for the headlight/taillight otherwise all the power goes to one and blows it out which blows the other one out. So you possible had your taillight/headlight burn out which blew the other one. I have the same year machine and this happened to me once. Basically if you go to high on the wattage the lights will actually be dimmer sense there isn't enough power.. so just go to ebay and look for a stock headlight and taillight bulb for an 84 200x. Mine at the moment is to high so i have a headlight that shines 10feet yet is a brand new bulb.

Hope this helps!

And welcome to 3WW!

kodiak47630
09-10-2013, 07:53 AM
OK thanks for.the help but the one thing you have me confused on is the lights. I don't see how a higher wattage bulb will make a differance cause 12 volts is still 12 volts know matter the wattage. Mine is pushing 30 volts to the lights.

CodyRosa
09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
The 200x runs off a AC instead of a DC system I believe? correct me if im wrong. I believe I have a 55watt up front and like a 20 or 30 in the back so mine don't blow. I had the stock up front and a smaller in back and it blew the back which ended up blowing the high beam up front. Just get higher wattage bulbs front and back and it shouldn't blow them anymore.

JustEnough
01-18-2014, 01:16 AM
My AutoX is a 185 with the stock lighting coil. I am running a 60/55W halogen bulb and it works fine on low beam and is a lot brighter than the stock 200x bulb.

I am not running a tail light so that may help. You could probably run an LED bulb on the tail light with this halogen bulb.

At less than $5 shipped, the price is right:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-Halogen-HB2-9003-12-V-Clear-Headlight-Bulb-NEW-/271348649228?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2da3cd0c&vxp=mtr

barnett468
01-18-2014, 02:28 AM
I have a 1984 200x...

...my electrical system is pushing to much voltage to the light and blew both the headlight and the tail light. Mine is pushing 30 volts to the lights.It's most likely a bad voltage regulator.

You can also reduce the voltage to 12V simply by putting the proper size resistor in the power output line after the regulator. Use the free online calculators to determine what you need if you need.

KBONLY can likely help you with your prob. He can likely tell you where to get regulators cheap.

for nos parts try the following:

cmsnl.com

xtremeusa.com

partzilla.com = least expensive

barnett468
01-18-2014, 05:06 AM
OK thanks for.the help but the one thing you have me confused on is the lights. I don't see how a higher wattage bulb will make a differance cause 12 volts is still 12 volts know matter the wattage. Mine is pushing 30 volts to the lights.[I think], the bulb acts like a resistor. The lower the wattage of the bulb the greater resistance it has. This is why a 60 watt bulb is much brighter than a 30 watt bulb if both are the same volt rating.

This means, using a bulb that has a low watt rating like a 35 will eat some of the extra voltage and should not blow out. KBONLY or another electrical whiz can say for sure.

If you want to run your lite until you can correct your excessive voltage prob you can probably do the following:

Go to an autoparts store and have them give you the GE, Sylvania or Stanley lite bulb book etc.

Look up P43t base. This is the number that identifies the style of base on the bulb.

Look up 24 volt. This will obviously eat up most of your extra voltage.

Look up 35/35w. In "theory" [maybe], this low watt rating should eat up more voltage than a bulb with a higher watt rating.

Order it and stuff it in there when you get it.

Try it on low beam for an hour first.

You can also buy one from the link below.

http://www.cnbulb.com/products.asp?id=58

PS - Obviously, the best and safest thing to do is to simply fix the cause of the prob. Both suggestions above are only temporary "band aids" and should not be used long term.