PDA

View Full Version : Oil for '84 Honda 200x??

irishfan84n
09-11-2013, 12:40 AM
What kind of oil should I use in my 200x? I need to know what weight, and if there is a specific brand. Detergent or non-detergent? I live in I live near Fort Wayne, Indiana so the weather get to freezing in the winter and sometimes reaches a high of 90-100 Degrees in the summer. Thanks in advance for the help!! :beer

dmfaulks85
09-11-2013, 01:02 AM
I use Amsoil 10w40 full synthetic, make sure there are no friction modifiers for the wet clutch. I live in Wisconsin and I use It all year round, good stuff

CodyRosa
09-11-2013, 02:09 AM
I use yamalube 10w40.. hasn't let me down yet.

barnett468
09-11-2013, 06:10 AM
you need thinner oil for summer and thicker oil for winter

you need oil designed for wet clutch engines.

20/50 summer

15/30 winter

barnett468
09-11-2013, 06:11 AM
edit thick oil for summer, thin for winter.

i have no edit button, lol.

Seabear843
09-11-2013, 07:08 AM
I use regular 10W-40. That's what the manual says to use.

dougspcs
09-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Honda GN4 10w40 is the OEM recommended oil. This variable viscosity oil is fine for all seasons..no need to change between winter and summer.

If there isn't a Honda dealer around the go to your local auto parts dealer. Anything 10w40 that is listed for ATV or Moyorcycle use will have the proper protection for you wet clutch.

tommerp
09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I've always thought to stay away from synthetic oils in wet clutches... am I wrong on that?

dougspcs
09-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I've always thought to stay away from synthetic oils in wet clutches... am I wrong on that?

I use the Honda full synthetic in my 350x..properly formulated Synthetic ATV oils exist.

tvpierce
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Synthetic oils are just fine, what you want to stay away from are oils labeled "Energy Conserving" -- they have additives that can cause problems with a wet clutch.

One of the most popular oils used in motorcycles (also wet clutch, except most BMW, and Moto Guzzi) is Shell Rotella T-6. Google it. It's a heavy duty, full synthetic, oil marketed for diesel engine use. For our purposes, its most important characteristic is that it has a high zinc content -- and zinc is a great lubricant for the relatively high-friction design of our valve-trains.

Do your own research and come to your own conclusion... but I don't think you'll find a better wet clutch oil at any price. And many of the high price "motorcycle" oils do not look so great in a comparison to Rotella.

For more than you'd ever want to know about oil, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

tommerp
09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Synthetic oils are just fine, what you want to stay away from are oils labeled "Energy Conserving" -- they have additives that can cause problems with a wet clutch.

One of the most popular oils used in motorcycles (also wet clutch, except most BMW, and Moto Guzzi) is Shell Rotella T-6. Google it. It's a heavy duty, full synthetic, oil marketed for diesel engine use. For our purposes, its most important characteristic is that it has a high zinc content -- and zinc is a great lubricant for the relatively high-friction design of our valve-trains.

Do your own research and come to your own conclusion... but I don't think you'll find a better wet clutch oil at any price. And many of the high price "motorcycle" oils do not look so great in a comparison to Rotella.

For more than you'd ever want to know about oil, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Great info, TV... I guess I prefer to kill more dinosaurs... :)

jb2wheels
09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm not picky about oil as long as its from a MC manufacturer other than HD or says somewhere on the label it's OK for wet clutches.

I can get the Valvoline ATV blend at the local auto parts stores but it's a bit of a drive to get the MC branded oils.

10/40 is fine year round.

honda atc guy
09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I use "Valvoline ATV 10w-40 4 stroke oil" in my 200x.

ColtonGG33
09-11-2013, 04:32 PM
I do what barnnet said^^. Always use thicker for summer thinner for winter!

irishfan84n
09-12-2013, 02:23 AM
Wow, thanks for all of the info guys! I do already have some Valvoline Motorcycle 10-40 at home that I use in my Yamaha xj750 Seca, and it says right on the bottle that it is for wet clutches. I guess I won't have to buy oil after all!! Again thanks for all the help! :beer