PDA

View Full Version : Starter question

Vadigger
09-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Hello. Old newbie here. My 200e starts with one pull of the rope even without choking it but when I try to use the starter it seems to turn over fine but won't start. It's almost like something's cutting out the spark. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

kb0nly
09-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Mine used to do that to until i put a new CDI and battery on it, not 100% sure which was the culprit or if it was a combination of the two. Is it spinning over as fast as you can with the pull starter? I found my 200ES if it cranks slow with the electric start it just wont always pop off. I ended up replacing my battery and now its fine every time again. Try a set of jumper cables and jump start it, get it spinning with some more power, could just be a weak battery and a slow crank. Also pull up the decomp lever then crank with electric start, that will give it a bit more spin as well.

Vadigger
09-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks a lot. Now that you mention it maybe it is turning over
Slower than I think. Ill hook cables to it and see. Oh and I do use the
Decomp lever. This thing is new to me so I'm just figuring things out.
Thanks for the idea. Ill give it a shot.

kb0nly
09-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Usually with a strong battery and electric starter you don't need to use the decomp lever, thats more helpful for the recoil, but i have had it where the battery was low and using the decomp lever helped it still start with the electric start.

If jumping it doesn't give you consistent starts then it might not be the battery, it be a worn starter. I rebuilt mine last fall, what a difference that made. New brushes and bushings and oiled, it helped immensely.

maxdallasfan
09-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Turn the key on and tap the starter motor with the handle of a screw driver. If it starts, then it's your starter motor. If it doesn't start, it's your solenoid.

I'm having the same issue. I saw this video on YouTube and that's what the guy said. I've ordered a new solenoid so hopefully it's that easy.

Vadigger
09-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah it's the batt. I jumped it and it fired right off. The starter turns the
motor over it just wasn't fast enough I guess. Thanks.

kb0nly
09-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Good to hear! Thats why i replaced my battery. I went with the ETX15 Big Crank AGM battery, no more flooded wet cell batteries for me. The AGM is a beast, it cranks fast!

Weis003
09-14-2013, 10:45 PM
All of my machines run the AGM batteries, they are expensive but the warranty and power is amazing!!

Ghostv2
09-15-2013, 01:21 AM
The same thing was happening with my brothers 225dx even though we had a fully charged brand new battery. Turned the engine over but would just not spark. It started with the recoil like yours. Didn't know what it could of been.