PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250 es electrical problem

bg77
09-15-2013, 01:27 PM
hello, i have an 85 250 es that ran good until i tried to charge the battery. after i took it off charge it wont do anything but turn over. i had an extra cdi plug and i put it on and it still wont crank. what should i do next change the rectifier? i could use any info:crazy:

hublake
09-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Did you check the main fuse? Sorry I didn't read your post right, I see it turns over. Try a new plug.

tri again
09-16-2013, 04:25 AM
to clarify?
it started and ran, you charged the battery and now it will spin over but not start??
Sometimes they'll kick start but not with the starter.

There IS a funky fuse, looks like a miniature end wrench insie a rubber boot inside a plastic box with tiny phillips head srews.
Seems to like and hold water but I forget the exact symptoms.

can you click on:
service manual

Do you have spark at the plug or wire?

MatthewBuckrell
09-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I second checking that fuse

kb0nly
09-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Ok let me get this straight so i know where you are at...

You charged the battery, assuming it was low and the electric start wasn't working or?

Now it turns over with the electric start but the engine isn't firing correct?

You got a problem but its not due to charging the battery... And the fuses won't do jack as far as spark is concerned. These trikes have an AC ignition system, seems like we go over this about once a week lately. The ignition system and the battery charging/lighting/electric start system is two completely separate systems! The alternator/stator output to the rectifier/regulator charges the battery, runs the lights, and thats it. The ignition source coil and pulser provide the AC to the CDI and in turn the ignition coil and the spark plug. These systems have to connection to each whatsoever. The fuses are for the DC systems, lighting and electric start only.

If you need the service manual its available on my manuals website, link is below in my signature. Have a look at the wiring diagram.

Ok now lets start with what you can do! Pull the spark plug, ground the threads of the plug on the head and crank it over, do you see spark at the plug? If not then you have to start going through the ignition system. Check your kill switch and ignition switch, make sure neither of them are grounding the kill wire, a common problem is a faulty kill switch on the handlebars. Been there done that!

bg77
09-17-2013, 01:48 PM
i changed the spark plug and now she runs like a champ again. i should have started with the spark plug i guess. Thanks alot for your advice. ill see if i can post a pic of the old red.