PDA

View Full Version : bottom end rebuild 1985 250r

pounder76
09-15-2013, 03:39 PM
well i what to rebuild the bottom end of my trike and then the top end but later on but i need to know what's a good kit to get where to get it from and will a 1986 kit work on a on 1985 thanks

200xranger
09-15-2013, 03:53 PM
I got the bearing/seal/gasket set off ebay for mine and havent had an issue yet in 3+years. Others will say run oem but thats $$$$. Hot rods sells rods that most cycle shops can press in to rebuild your crank. Most kits will say 85-86. its 87-89 you need to avoid. they have longer rods (found out the hard way, got one from a trx and now have the spacer under my cylinder) hope this helps!

pounder76
09-16-2013, 03:53 AM
so you don't know if anyone sells a complete kit with the crank,bearings,seals,and gaskets or do i have to hunt everything down separately

200xranger
09-16-2013, 11:12 AM
only company that might would be weisco. I usually get parts separately, seem to get better deals on individual item compared to bulk items i think. also dont end up with stuff you dont need. its cheaper to rebuild your your crank with a rod kit also. figure around 75 for the rod kit and my machine shop is 30 bucks to press it on.

RoscoW
09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
General recommendation is not to run a Weisco 250R crank, they tend to loose the tins in a bad way. I've heard nothing but good things about the newer Hot Rods cranks. Rebuilding your OEM crank is an option but you need to use a knowledgable crank builder, if the tins get distorted in any way they could come off and destroy the bottom end. You can get crank, bearings and seals from Hot Rods

http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/ProductSearch.aspx?page=1

Boss bearings on E bay does a complete bottom end bearing kit, I'm not sure of the bearing quality so do a little research first and there is also a full gasket / seal kit available from different sources. I don't think you'll find a single source for a "full engine kit"
I would also recommend an OEM head gasket, they are made of layers of thin steel and are far superior to the ones supplied in the gasket kits.

Ross..

pounder76
09-18-2013, 02:03 PM
thanks for all the feed back it put me in the right direction