PDA

View Full Version : 83 200 wont run

King Trikester
09-16-2013, 01:02 PM
I recently picked up a 1983 honda 200, I feel like it was a score, i paid 160$ for it beacause it would not run. the plastic is faded but no cracks. i took it home drained the old gas and put a new spark plug and away she went. I took it for a short drive and it was running pretty good but it would not idle. sure enough the jets in the carb were pluged. this was my first time taking a carb apart, I cleaned it right out and put it all back together and now it wont run, i did not play with the float, all i did was clean the jets and all the ports/holes. the one thing i did do was take out a srew on the bottom ( its on the outside) i have no idea what its for and how deep in was screwed in. Now it seems like its not getting gas, it has spark but it seems a bit weak. anyone have this problem or suggest anything, or know what that screw on the bottom is for?

CodyRosa
09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Ok so you turned the screw on the bottom? Is it the flat head on the very very bottom? If so thats the drain screw, turn that back in. If it was the screw on the side with a spring behind it that would be your idler screw. If its a screw thats upside down then that'd be your air/fuel mixture screw. If you messed with the one with the spring try turning it in until it fires up.. i've had mine not start because its to far out. If its the screw thats upside down put it flush with the carb and then back it out about a turn, maybe half a turn. (turn this screw in to make the mix more rich, turn out to lean out the mix)

What color is your spark? How does the plug look? Was it all black? if so just buy a new plug. What plug are your running to? I'm running a D8EA in mine, I had the wrong plug and it ran like crap then I switch to that plug and first pull it fired.

Good luck! I've been in the same boat as you are now.. you'll get it!

Big G
09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Sounds like it's the pilot screw that isn't set properly. It's the one that screws in upside down at the bottom of the carb. Assuming you re-installed it properly after cleaning it out (small o-ring, then small washer, then spring, then pilot screw), what you want to do now is screw it in till it lightly seats, then back it out 2 turns. This will give you a starting point. Now warm the engine up and set the idle screw (on the side of the carb). With the engine idling, turn the pilot screw slowly clockwise until the engine stops, then back it out 1 turn. Now start the engine and adjut the idle screw.

King Trikester
09-16-2013, 01:36 PM
ok, so it must have been the drain, it was on the very bottom and a flat head, i will take a pic once i get home and post it tomorow, the plug is black but it is was brand new only ran it for 5 mins or so, it came with the bike so im not to sure what it is but the guy said it was diferent than the one that was in it. I broke the pull cord so i cant try to start it until i get a new one ( it was rotten and full of water) Actually i think it had a spring behind it like i said i will take pics

CodyRosa
09-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Ok yea let us know and we can help you figure it out! If its black you may have fouled it or its just not sparking as good as it should. To clean a plug I normally sand it, and use a torch (maps gas) and burn off everything.. works everytime BUT they do get to a point when new is the way to go. For you I say just get a new one.

You don't need the pull cord to start it.. after I redid mine I snapped the rope after 2 pulls.. I was to angry at the time to fix it haha so I just throw it into 5th gear, pick up the machine from the back walk forward about 3 feet drop it and push it at the same time. Way easier then finding a hill for me. If you do decide to do this lightly feather the throttle as your pushing it. It'll get easier the faster you push it. Should fire up within a few seconds though.

King Trikester
09-16-2013, 01:53 PM
ok, i will try that, thanks for the addvice, i work for another 8 hours i cant wait to get home, im sure I will get it started today. I will post some pics, its going to be my girlfriends ride/mud bogger, its got nice big tires, I think it might float with me on it

King Trikester
09-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Ok so I realize now that I did not touch any screw on the outside of the carb, that was the carb on my pitster. So basically it ran when I first got it but it would not idle, so I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Now it's not getting gas, it has flow up to the carb but its definatly not making it to the engine. I can spray carb cleaner in it and it fires right up for a second but thats it. ???

OldNo437
09-18-2013, 11:56 PM
try wrapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle, leave the drain screw loose to see if it starts leaking fuel, have seen needles stick after being pulled apart.. see where that gets ya...