PDA

View Full Version : 1984 200xhelp

kodiak47630
09-18-2013, 09:11 AM
I have a 1984 200x that I'm wanting to mod. I plan on rebuilding the engine and increasing the power. The questions I have is where can I find or get a 6" extended swing arm. Also right now it runs about 55 to 60 at wot I'm wanting to change the sprockets to get it to run faster at a lower rpm for longer rides what would be a good sprocket set up to do that ie sprocket tooth count

dougspcs
09-18-2013, 09:40 AM
You're two ideas may be kinda counter productive to each other..

Extending the swing arm suggests you want to climb hills which will take ever ounce of torque that little 200 can muster.

Changing to a smaller rear sprocket will rob some of that torque in exchange for higher speed!!

Best decide where you really want to go with this..my guess is to a 250R!!!

kodiak47630
09-18-2013, 12:11 PM
My intention is road riding that's why I want higher speed at lower rpm but I want the extended swing arm for looks and when I go off road I can change the rear sprocket

Ghostv2
09-18-2013, 02:00 PM
There is a reason there is them warning stickers that say "for off road use only!".
And to spend that much money on a aftermarket swing arm just for looks is a waste to me.
But...do as you wish.

dougspcs
09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Extended swingers are for climbing..

Sure they look kinda cool but I can think of a million things to spend money on to make my trike look cooler if that is what you are trying to accomplish..

And the sprocket swap idea..3-5MPH is about all the it might get you..if you are 98lbs soaking wet. The lower sprocket ratio is gonna take the top end power away anyway. You could also accomplish the same thing by installing larger rear tires..

Lots of other more beneficial updates you could do!!

kodiak47630
09-18-2013, 02:56 PM
When I said I'm beefing the engine it should make up the power lose. I'm boring the cylinder and shaving the head port and Polish the valves and a larger Carb. I hope that will add enough power for the gear change a.d the extended swing arm is to keep the front end on the ground more than looks

Ghostv2
09-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Mine never lifts up on me when I don't want it to. Sit how your suppose to on the seat and not all the way back. Don't just drop the clutch on take off, gradually increase the throttle, and then it won't lift up. You could save all this money by a few simple techniques.
I don't mean to keep bashing your ideas but if you have the money to throw around then be my guest. Just remember you will never get that money back out of that bike. If your looking at modification I suggest buying a 250r.

NeverLift
09-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Road riding with the extended swing are will handle like crap also. It will only want to go straight.

rg97
09-18-2013, 04:27 PM
If you want to spend 4-600 dollars on an extended swingarm, go right ahead. Though, if its only to keep the front end down, those sprockets will accomplish that. My 200x that has a stock bore 6mm stroker crank, high compression piston, and a port and polish will pick up the front end only when i try to in 1st-3rd gear or when I'm shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd. It has a 100% stock swinger and sprockets

duck4twenty
09-20-2013, 11:04 PM
heres my 84 with extended swingarm and i got 11t front sprocket 4 that quik take off & even with exteneded swingarm it still feels like it will lift easy just gotta now how to put the power down right
also took those crappy tires off recenty and put the stock tires back on not pictured

ATC ADDICTED
09-20-2013, 11:21 PM
extended swingers are for climbing and sand drags... the 84 can be built to produce enough power to be really fast,,,,,, if you have the money for the poweroll kit and the machine work that is required to do the build. Then I would suggest a extended swinger, or if you crammed a xr500 in it, then it would be necessary to have it to keep the front end down... if your going for appearance ie, looks, then do a small extended swinger, about 2 inches, bob your fenders and add small axle spacers. You'd be surprised at how much a difference 2 inches in length makes even with a built motor, when you are trying to keep the front on the ground...

ATC ADDICTED
09-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Also,,, if you want to add length,,, it really easy to add it to the front end... pull you shock tubs out and flip them over with the wheel still attached. it stretched my 250r almost 3 inches in the front,,,, 2 3/4 inches to be exact... But beware,,, you'll need a longer front brake cable, as your disc and caliper will be on the other side and the stock line wont make the stretch, a 350x front brake line is perfect.... Also as a point of noting,,,, it will affect how the bike responds after about 1/4 turn with the bars,,,, it will want to go to full lock, so you need to be ready for it and expect it when it torques when riding. After a little getting used to, I really like it on my 83 250r, it stretched it just enough that it keeps the front on the ground unless I want it to come up

yaegerb
09-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Here's my 84 with a +2 westcoast. My motor is built more than most and even with the +2 I can pull the front wheel 1st-3rd with no problem.

ATC ADDICTED
09-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Here's my 84 with a +2 westcoast. My motor is built more than most and even with the +2 I can pull the front wheel 1st-3rd with no problem.
dah,,,, you have a banshee eater, poweroll kit in you 200x ... I think I covered that in my post and if you flop your front shocks ,,, that should help keep that front end down unless you want it to come up

ATC ADDICTED
09-21-2013, 11:34 AM
oh,,,, and it also lowers the frontend a little also,,,, something ,,,, you flat tracker like to do..