PDA

View Full Version : your opinion matters...

440scout
09-19-2013, 02:25 AM
i have been chasing a certain 85 250r for a few years now and finally picked it up for free... the last time i saw and rode this bike it was a really clean awesome running stock bike... that was 15 yrs ago... it is no longer a nice bike (hence the reason it was free i guess) anyway a few years ago the last owner put a pipe on it and did not change jets.. leaned out burnt up the piston... took it apart to fix it, moved and left the bike at his brothers house... his brother also had a 250 and proceeded to use this one as a parts bike... so i am missing some things and would like your opinion on what to use and where to get it... first i need to tell you that over the years i have been running through my mind about how i would make this into a drag bike.. reality is if it was a drag bike it would probably never get used... so i would like to put this back together basically stock with a pipe and maybe a little more compression.. so heres what i need....
1. piston and rings along with a gasket set (top end kit i guess)
2. carburetor is missing along with the throttle and cable..
3. the pipe that started all this is gone too..
4. the chain is wasted....
5. the brakes dont work.. i assume we rebuild them where do i get the kits for the masters?
i am thinking that some of the suppliers you lead me to will help me get parts for my other three bikes, 90 110 200x
thanks again
doug

dougspcs
09-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Choices before you as I see them:

1st, part out and sell the rest of the machine. Some good profit to put toward a machine needing less..hell the left engine cover alone is worth a mint if undamaged!

2nd, start the long road back to good condition with the understanding you could be spending more on your project than it would cost to buy a decent runner.

3rd, buy a decent runner and use this machine as a donor for the bits you might need.

I'm sure others will agree, there is no economical option here.

Ghostv2
09-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Choices before you as I see them:

1st, part out and sell the rest of the machine. Some good profit to put toward a machine needing less..hell the left engine cover alone is worth a mint if undamaged!

2nd, start the long road back to good condition with the understanding you could be spending more on your project than it would cost to buy a decent runner.

3rd, buy a decent runner and use this machine as a donor for the bits you might need.

I'm sure others will agree, there is no economical option here.

I completely agree. But then again he got it for free, so if he puts $500 into it that is still a score.
I say see how much its going to cost you to rebuild the top end and to get those missing parts, then decide whether you want to go through with this work and spend the money to get all this. I would go through with it if everything else is in good shape, as in the plastics, tires, the expensive things. Post some pictures of it so we can get a better idea of what your dealing with.

09RappySE
09-19-2013, 01:41 PM
I have the complete top end off my R from when I went to the 310 along with the stock carb+cable, and the stock exhaust header and a DG (i think) silencer....do not know what they are worth...but not looking to get rich off of it....also have the stock airbox+intake tube and filter.

dougspcs
09-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Scout, I'd RUN to Rappy's house!! There is a score of the large ticket items you need!!

But still, unknown machine..expect the unexpected! Good luck..

Davidcz75
09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
If you have been chasing it for that long then fix it ... it was free and good R's are worth money and some things are worth more ... I'd fix it if I have waited that long to get it .

roonie
09-20-2013, 02:39 PM
i say fix it ....your work will be rewarding for sure

JasonB
09-20-2013, 03:01 PM
the items you listed are not major things to repair or replace. you can find used parts like big bore or just top ends for cheap, get a nice used pwk or even stock 86 250r carb for CHEAP, new cheain, honestly it sounds like you have less than what a good runner would cost to pick up. Got any pics to post of how she sits now? I say fix it, you have history with it. Personally i have repaired less for more just because lol GO FOR IT!

Jwmajic
09-20-2013, 09:47 PM
You could try a craigs list ad. I've had an ad looking for parts bikes going for a while now and I keep getting guys who have piles of parts they just want to get rid of cheap. I guess some people don't like Ebaying stuff.

440scout
10-20-2013, 12:42 AM
heres a pic of it when i picked it up... ive put together a bunch of three wheelers and i honestly think its worth putting together..

hatc200x1
10-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Fix that thing man!! Get another one saved! :)

Schmoore Racing
10-21-2013, 12:37 AM
since its free you are basically starting with without anything invested other than time. Build it from the ground up how you want it, make it your own. You can buy a lot of parts for it before you get close to how much you would pay for a decent trike. In my area a good 85 250r goes for around 1500-2000. Just my 0.02.

David Ham
10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
I absolutely agree!

440scout
10-29-2013, 11:33 AM
thanks guys
i have three other bikes but im still really excited about this one

Jason125m
10-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Definitely fix it up and keep on posting pictures of your progress.

I find too many people whine about putting in more money then its worth.

Who cares how much $ you have in it if you like it. My 86 has an unlimited budget ;)