PDA

View Full Version : Oil smells like rotten eggs???

CodyRosa
09-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Hey guys I tore my top end down, getting ready for new gaskets and a new head.. well I took a wiff of my oil and wow does it smell terrible lol.. it literately smells like rotten eggs. What causes it to smell like this??

Thanks everyone!

shortline10
09-21-2013, 07:28 AM
How's your clutch ? What oil you using ?

CodyRosa
09-21-2013, 09:59 AM
My clutch seemed fine. Same as always I guess. I'm using yamalube 10w40. Oil has maybe an hour or two on it.

So what normally causes it? Clutch plates or something?

shortline10
09-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep worn/over heated clutch plates or oil will have a real bad smell .

My clutch seemed fine. Same as always I guess. I'm using yamalube 10w40. Oil has maybe an hour or two on it.

So what normally causes it? Clutch plates or something?

CodyRosa
09-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Oh alright so even just over heated oil? Should I change the oil, run it for awhile and check if it still smells bad?

Cornholio
09-22-2013, 12:30 AM
That yamalube has a corny smell, I run it in all my machines and it seems to always smell funny.

CodyRosa
09-22-2013, 02:42 AM
i'd be a happy guy if thats all it was cornholio. I wish I could have someone smell it.. I really only smelt it in the top end? I just opened my oil dip stick (never thought of doing that lol) and it just has that normal funky smell that your talking about.. oils clear, looks brand new (has about 2 hours of trail riding on it) So whatever it is, is gone now. The second I took that head cover off the head it just smelt like eggs and that after a few minutes it was gone.

shortline10
09-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Defiantly change the oil .

i'd be a happy guy if thats all it was cornholio. I wish I could have someone smell it.. I really only smelt it in the top end? I just opened my oil dip stick (never thought of doing that lol) and it just has that normal funky smell that your talking about.. oils clear, looks brand new (has about 2 hours of trail riding on it) So whatever it is, is gone now. The second I took that head cover off the head it just smelt like eggs and that after a few minutes it was gone.

Cornholio
09-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Piston rings? Or gasket sealer getting sucked in? I couldnt tell without knowing what you did.

CodyRosa
09-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Well.. what does rtv smell like when it burns? RTV is about the only thing that would have happened. Piston and rings are fine. I'm wondering if something happened in the head? I know my decomp lever wont stay up anymore.. which i heard means bent valves? Yet the machine started first pull and ran really good.