PDA

View Full Version : honda 125m engine assembly question

auto5man
09-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Okay, all... need a little help on assembly. Working on the left side of the engine in the subtransmission, and my question is specifically about how many thrust washers there are supposed to be. The Honda Service manual states in the chapter on subtransmission.....that you install the sproket and bushings onto the shaft (check, done), and then states that the "thrust washer" goes on after the sprocket, then the high speed gear and then the circlip. This seems pretty clear, but when you look at the schematic drawing at the beginning of the chapter on left engine parts breakdown, it clearly shows TWO thrust washers and from the drawing looks like one is on the shaft BEFORE the high speed gear and another one AFTER the gear and then the circlip. No where in the manual's text in step by step assembly instructions does it say to install TWO thrust washers on the same shaft though. My 125 engine, (my very first to work on), came to me without a subtransmission so I didn't get the benefit of disassembly :(

If my description of the question is not clear enough, I can reference page numbers in the manual if necessary.

Dave

auto5man
09-23-2013, 10:30 PM
nevermind, I figured it out. There is a thrust washer that goes on before and after the high speed gear. Sometimes the Honda manual is a little ambiguous for the un-initiated. I'm finding out the various parts ordering diagrams (like dratv and bike bandit) are VERY helpful in helping me figure assembly questions out where the manual is unclear. For example, today I was installing the left engine cover and the manual just says "install the eleven bolts"....well the bolts are four different lengths and the manual doesn't mention that or say which goes where and I was stumped. I didn't even have all eleven bolts because the engine I'm working on came to partially disassemble. Well the parts diagrams shows how many of each length bolt and where they go. I know this is newb stuff, but heck I'm a newb, lol. Maybe it will be helpful information to someone else starting out like I am.

tri again
09-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Nice move!
Sometimes it's kinda fun to outsmart the book designers or make fun of the engineers.
I guess they assume 'we' took them apart, in which case, a camera is my best friend.

Keep up the good work.
We need more people like you in this confusing world.

Funny that all anatomy books ever written all have the same mistakes too.