PDA

View Full Version : atc tires on a mower

dustrunner
09-21-2013, 10:59 AM
http://elmira.craigslist.org/bar/4055223706.html :wondering

pipeline triker
09-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Wow, I think I want to find a hooked on Phonics program and send it to that guy.

atc007
09-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Wow, I think I want to find a hooked on Phonics program and send it to that guy.

My hats actually off to him. He probably realizes he has a REAL problem. But gets his point across anyways. Takes a lot of guts. :)

Ghostv2
09-21-2013, 05:36 PM
I saw this earlier and took a quick glance at the add and was wondering what was the problem. I took another look at the Add and actually read it and now I completely understand what you were saying and I 100% support you on this one.

redsox
09-21-2013, 08:23 PM
i know quite a few people that are very well educated, but not nearly smart enough to get that thing to run. adversely, know people that struggle with grammar and spelling that can time an engine, or calculate square footage of concrete, or figure the rise and run of a staircase like nobody's business. i'm very grateful for the education that my parents struggled to provide me with, and i don't take it for granted. reading ads like that make me appreciate it more. not everyone has the same opportunity, especially older people in different parts of the country. i've learned that literacy is not closely linked to intellect. appreciate what you have, and don't judge a book by its cover.

atc007
09-21-2013, 09:14 PM
VERY well said Redsox :). The smartest person I know Living,is a 81 yo man. He grew up on a Dairy farm,Dad was a drunk logger with a real bad temper,and for spare time,they did crops,and 500 GALLONS of maple syrup in the spring. For those of you that have not had the pleasure of making Maple Syrup. It takes 35-50 gallons of sap to boil down to 1 gallon of syrup. + cutting and hauling ALL of the wood to boil it down. Anyhow,backbreaking hard work is ALL he ever knew. From 4 AM to 9 pm,,as he and his Brothhers say. " The rest of the day was ALL ours,we could do whatever we wanted with it!!" They chose to drag their butts upstairs and sleep. By 7th grade,He was known as VI,,Village ediot :). One spring, every time he got to the field,his tractor was out of gas. He knew who was stealing the gas. So,one night,he drained all of the gas out of his Dads tractor,and put water in the tank. The next day coming home from school, his neighbors truck was dead along the road :). Anyhow, this Man left here with the shirt on his back. Moved to Rochester New York,and made a life and family for himself. He schooled and tutored himself until he was SIXTY SEVEN years old. One day,His tutor said, we are going out to breakfast. You have come as far as you possibly can. He struggles with math,numbers,and can't spell. But make no mistake,he will cold read 99 out of 100 people in 5 minutes. It is scary actually. He has developed and honed skills like blind people develop other skills. To get by, to live. NEVER,judge a book by it's cover.

Ghostv2
09-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys, now I feel like a d-bag for agreeing with the other guy. :lol:

redsox
09-21-2013, 09:57 PM
i just re-read my post and i sound a tiny bit d-bag myself. i'm not being super sensitive, or high and mighty or anything. just pointing out the other side of the coin. i once saw an old timer trying to align a tractor. he had no equipment or any manuel or anything. he was figuring caster and camber and all that stuff. he put the rig on a flat surface. took a simple tape measure and put a tack in the center of the tread of each front tire. then he put another tack in the center of each front tire on the opposite side. with the first tack in front, he put a string between the two front wheels. disconnected the string and rolled the tractor forward till the other tacks were in front. tried the string length between them. kept making small adjustments till they were equal. awesome. genius stuff. never underestimate a little red-neck innovation. the smarter you think you are, the more you have to learn.

honda atc guy
09-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Wow! Anyways.....that's some looking....mower!?

Jwmajic
09-22-2013, 02:38 PM
I remember when I was in the 6th grade one of the farmers kids came in with an excuse note from his did that was sooo badly written that they thought the kid forged it. When his dad came in he told the teacher that "you know damn well my son has better hand writing than that your his teacher. " I just about fell over laughing because I knew the farmer for years and never knew he could only write at a third grade level because he dropped out of school to run the farm.Back then farmers only needed a very basic education and many dropped out after grade school.

pipeline triker
09-22-2013, 05:47 PM
I am not the best speller in the world by far. I keep a spelling dictionary next to the key board. i am sure that person could do the same. I did not rip on him personally, but his add is hard to read as it is

Ghostv2
09-22-2013, 09:57 PM
I am not the best speller in the world by far. I keep a spelling dictionary next to the key board. i am sure that person could do the same. I did not rip on him personally, but his add is hard to read as it is
Most computers have spellcheck and tell you when it's wrong. Then tells you the correct way to spell it. So it kinda even eliminates that. Then if you post an add from a phone you have auto correct. So in reality everyone should be able to write up a decent add. Plus if you got internet to post an add you got google for any questions. Spellcheck, dictionary's, and Google have been around since I was a child. Again, just stating some facts, I am not talking about that particular individual anymore.

atc007
09-23-2013, 07:37 AM

I meant nothing at all towards you or anyone else here pipeline. I'm sure you know some of these kind of guys in your area! I was just saying....

kb0nly
09-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Spelling and grammar aside...

That mower looks like a serious badass... I bet with those reels it can cut a field down mighty fast if they have been sharpened!! I used to pull a large reel mower and cut football fields, man i tell ya anyone that thinks the modern spinning blade mower deck can beat one of these they haven't seen reel mowers that were properly maintained. The ones i used were sharp as razors and you could watch the blades of grass just fly!

Thats gotta be one heck of a contraption when its in motion.. LOL

dustrunner
09-29-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't think that one was properly maintained....look at all those belts... O M G ..