PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank Paint/ And exhaust leak?

Kidw/250R
09-21-2013, 11:11 AM
What can I use so my gas dosnt eat through the paint I used. I Just painted it with krylon to get it out the door but now it annoying me...and my exhaust seems to b getting this black like oil sticky stuff out where comes out by head on motor and where connects to muffler...am I missing something here?

CodyRosa
09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi and welcome to 3WW. Well for my tank I used rust oleum.. I always use it. Krylon in my opinion sucks. Just spray a few light coats, let that dry. Then use a lot of coats of clear and let that dry. I still get gas on my tank but it doesn't take the paint away anymore. Try to wipe it off right away and don't use a rag. Something like a junk shirt. When i used a rag the paint somehow got sticky instantly and parts of the rag stuck to it.. needless to say I had to redo the tank.. =/

Now for the exhaust... is the machine burning oil? OR is this a 2 stroke? Seeing your name as 250r im guessing its a 2 stroke. There should be a o ring on the flange (part where the pipe meets cylinder) thats more than likely bad.. or your springs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC250R-TRX250R-ATC-TRX-250R-EXHAUST-FMF-SPRINGS-O-RINGS-/130950973781?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7d494955&vxp=mtr

Springs get weak overtime, and o rings wear out. Best just to change them.

dougspcs
09-22-2013, 03:31 PM
For the best tank paint you'll ever have, find someone who does powder coat..

I had the tank on my 250ES project done this way..media blasted and coated for $60.

It's durable and fuel resistant. Quit screwing around with spray bombs!!

Before:

After:

kb0nly
09-22-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking of having that done to my 200ES tank next spring, not enough time to do it now or over the winter. Does anyone on this forum do this? I don't have any local shops that do powdercoating sadly.

Hows the color match Doug? If you got someone doing a good job of this that might entertain doing a few more for forum members count me in!

dougspcs
09-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Hows the color match Doug? If you got someone doing a good job of this that might entertain doing a few more for forum members count me in!

Actually the colour is spot on..the guy told me if they had to custom mix colour it would cost more.

But when I got there he had a couple fire extinguishers he had done using the stock colour..we compared that to the OEM side covers I had brought with me and they were spot on!!

Next I'll pull the badly worn tank from my SX over the winter and send it for a refresh! Then hit up the resident sticker expert Hanlan for some decals..should look as tasty as my SX when done..

I really hug the tank when I ride..especially when I'm mudding and with my waders on the mud just polishes the tank sides bare!

kb0nly
09-23-2013, 10:13 AM
So its a local shop for you? If you werent across the border, due to shipping costs, i would ship you a tank to bring in for me.. LOL

I don't have any powdercoating places anywhere near me here. And the one place i found in the yellow pages got all cranking at the thought of doing a bunch of smaller pieces, seems he only likes to do big stuff.

Hmm it matched some fire extinguishers.... Interesting. So if he didn't mix then would it be possible for you to get the color code/name from him? That might help track down someone that can do it with that color here in the states!

Oh i know about the tank rub, i wear the paint off the back corners as well riding in my insulated coveralls to plow snow in the winter. Not much you can do when your bulked up with insulated clothing.

dougspcs
09-23-2013, 11:27 AM
The shop I use is called C&C Coatings and it's in Sarnia..no shortage of powder-coating services near me.

I live next to chemical valley and there is always a need to put protective treatment on pipeline components..

I'll check with the guy about manufacturer and colour code so you can hopefully find a decent match.

kb0nly
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Awesome thanks Doug!

I know of a couple that would be a long drive but i made some phone calls and found a couple that i could ship back and forth to, they do it all the time with motorcycle shops. But the first thing they asked was color code. I'm not picky about a perfect match, just close enough is good for me, not ever having to paint it again would make it all worth while.