PDA

View Full Version : I'm on vacation

Flyingw
09-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, after loosing my job last month I'm not really in a hurry to go back to work so for the sake if all arguments, I'M ON VACATION. What does one do on vacation besides stay up till dawn and sleep all day......... of course give my garage a makeover. I've sold four of my trikes leaving me with an even two so no trikes to work on. My garage was been a sanctuary and it deserved a little love and what started out as a simple task of re-skinning the tops of my benches turned in to a full blown makeover. Benchtops, paint, and new shelves. It sure makes it feel like a new space. Enjoy the pics.

RapidRick
09-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Gee Jim, I don't know what to say, about the job and the garage. Looks like a garage of an air craft mech. Sorry to hear about the job situation.

Billy Golightly
09-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Wow, very nice! Wish I could keep mine that clean...

Ghostv2
09-23-2013, 12:39 AM
That's a very nice looking work area, not only clean looking but all the tools and equipment in it. Including the trikes. Looks almost too good to just be a hobbyists shop, you do any other work?

Sorry to hear about the job situation. It give you some well needed time off though, let's you get caught up on things and projects, just don't get too use to it. Don't wanna fall behind. :)

atc007
09-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Gorgeous Jim. Heaven on Earth right there. They are some very large fluorescent bulbs.

JasonB
09-23-2013, 09:31 AM
thats awesome man! I have really developed a love for clear and clean work spaces recently. the more I get my own together, the more i realize how good it feels to have nice equipment and tools where they belong! Nice shop!

Flyingw
09-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Tell me about it Jason. When I moved in I was working out of boxes and got pissed trying to find stuff so I grabbed my tape and threw it on the floor deciding where things were going to go. The result was the cabinets you see. There is so much stuff crammed in the drawers and cabinets. The only requirement was my wife has to be able to park her SUV in the garage so I allow her to do that....... MANLAW!!!!

Flyingw
09-23-2013, 03:15 PM
and yes, those are some big ass CFLs. Equivalent to 300w utility bulbs. Costs less to run and less heat over conventional bulbs.

maxdallasfan
09-23-2013, 03:19 PM
What kind of heater is that on the wall. Does it work good?

Flyingw
09-23-2013, 03:34 PM
its a natural gas blue flame heater. It works pretty well down to about 30deg. I have a blue flame kerosene heater I use primarily and it works very well. My natural gas heater has a blower in it. When its really cold, I'll run both till it warms the garage up then I'll shut the natural gas heater off and set the kerosene heater on low. They warm the garage up to about 75deg. My garage is not insulated so considering that, they both do a pretty good job at keeping me warm in the Winter.

Flyingw
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
The heater is like this one with the optional blower.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfort-Glow-Natural-Gas-Heater-20000-BTU-hr-Blue-Flame-Vent-Free-Wall-Mount-/161112575667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25830eceb3

and the kerosene heater I have is like this one. It works very well. It takes about 30 minutes to warm up my cold soaked garage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORTABLE-KEROSENE-HEATER-/121181407576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c36f98958

UPNATM
09-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Super sanitary, I love it!

maxdallasfan
09-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Nice. Thanks. Been thinking about getting something to heat the garage

redsox
09-23-2013, 09:23 PM
looks really nice! nothing like working in a clean, open, well-lit area. i'm jealous. whats with all the pull-up bars on the ceiling? are you hosting p90x classes in your off time?

Flyingw
09-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Two of the bars are wired together and the wire is run to ground for powder coating. All I do is connect my PC gun to the ground. Now I can hang my parts from the bars and spray away. The other two are for letting parts cool. It works great.

Dirtcrasher
09-23-2013, 09:38 PM
looks really nice! nothing like working in a clean, open, well-lit area. i'm jealous. whats with all the pull-up bars on the ceiling? are you hosting p90x classes in your off time?

Nah, thats Rory!!

Dirtcrasher
09-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Jim, it all looks awesome. It's so much easier to have a clean shop with all the goodies.

All your work and help is top notch.

It has taken me 25 years to get everything I need aside from a TIG.

But, wish I do wish I had more space, I may have to bump it out another 10 ft just for the machine shop. More digging, wires to run etc etc etc and I do it all alone so it's a PITA.........

jays375
09-23-2013, 10:05 PM
I didn't think it looked much different than any other time.Just joking.Sorry to hear about your job.

tri again
09-24-2013, 05:52 AM
I've heard those periods of time called a 'staycation'.
and honestly, I've been in medical clinics that weren't that nice.

I moved into my garage so I could rent out the house so I work outside or on the porch.
Just got a commercial super heavy picnic table so I can run trikes up on it to work.

Hey, didja ever read the manual for the jd ride mower?
Pretty sure it says if you pull out the wire at the back so you can roll it around, 'transaxle damage will occur' if you start it and try to move it with that rod pulled out.

Hope you're ok offing some trikes. I just had to do that because I never used them.

Good luck on the job front.
Maybe you can come up with some sort of widget that a million people want to buy.

auto5man
09-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Man that is nice Jim, I hope the 'vacation' is enjoyable and you have no trouble lining out trailprotrailpro next gig.

Flyingw
09-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Actually I am enjoying the time off. I haven't been unemployed since I was 17. I joined the Air Force at 24, separated at 34, and for the past 15 years have been working for ARINC. I've traveled my butt off world wide. I'm 49 now and now find myself looking to find a less physically demanding job. I did get a severance which allows me to take a little time off. I've filed for unemployment and once that kicks in will pay the mortgage for at least a few months. I know this wave won't last for too long but for now, I'm on vacation.

sweetip2000
09-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I am truly impressed. Nicer than orange county choppers for sure. Dont feel bad about the job. We are up to about 28% unemployment and getting stronger everyday. I have been unemployed for almost 3 years and no signs of work anywhere. Try to work for yourself,
I do some painting and some computer repair. Try to be a diversified as possible and dontrely on a company to hire you. You should manufacture small parts light weight easy to ship and open an ebay store, you have the talent and resources to do this, you have the support from most of us here as a reference. Enjoy your free time, its priceless.