PDA

View Full Version : To join or not to join Facebook

JayBone
09-24-2013, 10:00 AM
How many have an account and how many don't?

I have held out for yrs and i get a lot of people telling me i have to join.

Does it really matter?

badass350x
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I myself have no part of it, seems like everybody I know has account except for me.. Think I will keep it that way!!

oldskool83
09-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I deleted my account this year permiently! I was tired of the drama filled comments from people. The people from higschool who want to be a friend when you never spoke a word 10+ years later. I was tired of seeing everyone kid posted in pictures I'm sure the kids would not want posted. Do yourself a favor and stay away. Chatting about ramdom things, creating more junk on the internet that does not need to be there. If your younger maybe it will mean a lot to you, but it seem the 30 and over crowed just could care less anymore.

There is life with out facebook

ATC-Eric
09-24-2013, 11:11 AM
I have an account. I probably update my "status" a few times a year. i say get one. It has helped me catch up with some old friends I haven't talked to in a long time. Thats really the best reason I see it, just finding old friends.

hoosierlogger
09-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I refuse to sign up for one. Too many people get so caught up making their life that they have to be on it 24-7. My wife has been trying to get me to sign up. I see how much time she wastes on there and I don't want any part of it. If anyone needs to get a hold of me, they can call me. If they don't have my phone number or email address, I probably don't need to talk to them anyway.

Lord Letto 20
09-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I have one but I don't use it myself cause I lost interest, instead my mom goes on for the games and stuff and to see what gossip there is.

MRSOUND
09-24-2013, 12:40 PM
I have one. Got really caught up in it when I first started but now the "excitement" has curbed drastically. I still check it daily on my phone but usually just scrolling till something catches my eye. Sometimes it's the only way I know what my kids are up to (18,21,& 23yrs). There is a lot of drama to be found that can be overbearing, but there is always the "unfriend" option for those chronic whiners. I do enjoy some of the funny video's and "signs" posted but then again that's all some folks post. Then there is the recipes....everyone is a chef and wants you to share theirs. :lol: And let's not forget the "friend" who chronicles their whole day....everyday! It's monday and I got to go to work...had breakfast...work sucked....cleaned the house....going to bed, good nite facebook. Personally I post maybe once or twice a month if I'm lucky. Like a few pages here and there comment on a post and even occasionally share that pick. It can be whatever you want to make it. Just be warned if you post it on the web and will always be able to be retrieved regardless if you delete it or not.I've heard of employers checking FB files to try and figure out a person's character before they even get to the interview. Middle daughter had a habit of posting pics with "adult" beverages while she was underage in college. Gave her heck and she unfriended me so I wouldn't have to see it she said :rolleyes: I say try it if your curious. If ya don't like it you can always delete your account.

Ghostv2
09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
Everybody that doesn't have one, I take it your old.
All young people have it.
Most wives and moms have it.
Most dads and husbands do not.
So mostly 30+ it's not so common for them to have it.

MRSOUND
09-24-2013, 12:49 PM

I have to disagree! I'm a Dad, Husband, & 46. Granted more young people are going to have it because they are "growing up" with it, but that does not mean us "old folk" can't learn a few new tricks;)

JasonB
09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
i have one and dont do a lot with it honestly. i think other people post on my page more than i do lol. it has been good to help connect with old friends and keeps me 'in touch' with people i wouldnt have contact info for otherwise. mor ethan half of my 400 'friends' on fb are from the trike boards lmao . the girlfriend has used facebook to build her team beach body business up as well and brings in a couple hundred bucks a month from it now.

3Queen
09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
I am on facebook, and love it, lol I am in a lot of trike groups on there... I would say do it see if you like it.. And if you don't delete it..

Ghostv2
09-24-2013, 02:45 PM
There is one thing I do check daily on Facebook. There is private groups that you can join and it's basically like a local classifieds. I have a couple "yardsail" groups and some car and atv sale groups. You find a lot of good deals on anything with a motor locally and that's how I got a couple of my trikes.

So even if your not into the social scene, it can be used as a tool. Make some use out of it. Just something to think about.

oldskool83
09-24-2013, 02:46 PM
I did'nt want anyone knowing anything about me anymore. Was tired of meeting people they learn your name next thing somone asking to be your friend you dont evene know. I'm 30. I got a case of the old manness now lol. I'd prefere somone talk or call or text me then post things on sum page for anyone to see.

cochran
09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
The advantages from solely a business standpoint are worth it. I have a business and make money from my Facebook account.
I would only have maybe 75 friends instead of 1500 if I didn't have my personal account linked to my business.

Billy Golightly
09-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I have one but I am pretty selective about who is on it. I have a very minimal amount of family (That keeps the drama to the minimum in and of itself) and I got no problem going in and blocking and deleting people that make life difficult (Family included). I've got like 200 people on it, which is really about the most I can see anyone, myself especially, managing with any reasonable level of control/connectivity. I use it more so as an outlet to blow off steam and share my creative side with pictures posted from my phone, trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about politics, etc.

JayBone
09-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Ghostv2, HA! You take it were old? By that comment 40 would be old too you. It's cool! You to are in the race and right behind us.

OldSkool, I have the same views you do and that's why I haven't done it. Plus my good HS friends are like family at this point and they all can txt me.

Mrsound, You make sense. I could always delete it if i didn't like it. Or after it got out of hand and then it's too late..lol!!!

D-dub
09-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Facebook makes money by selling your Personal information,,,Nuff said!!

JasonB
09-24-2013, 05:53 PM
anyone on linkedin.com ? Its like a facebook for professionals

RIDE-RED 250r
09-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I have been on FB for a few years now. And like a few others have already said, it is kind of nice for reconnecting with old friends. But don't get caught up in dramatic BS. It can be useful with groups and things like that.

I am an admin on a local NY ATV and off road buy/sell/trade group. Things like that can be handy. Some people have given up on CL due to all the scamming and FB can be a slightly better alternative for buying/selling.

All in all and in my opinion, as long as you don't get addicted to the drama side of it, FB isn't too bad of a thing.

And DON'T SEND ME ANY FLIPPIN GAME REQUESTS!! YA HEAR!!?? LOL!

captainweezy
09-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Not on facebook here. I have disliked for quite a long time. Think about this question........who is everybody's favorite person? Hint hint look in the mirror.
So that is why many have to post that their cat has diariah and that it sprayed 15 feet and that it was a mess all over the house and that its just disgusting cleaning it up and that they are upset because now they have to take it to the vet and so on........
They need attention.
From a business standpoint it may be very good and some day I may be on it for that reason. Just my opinion.

Dirtcrasher
09-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Honestly, I amazed at how many shallow minded people are on and off FB all day and every day.

I have an account and share builds, rides etc. But the drama is nuts. I would never date a chick with her phone just awaiting for her response.

Ghostv2
09-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Ghostv2, HA! You take it were old? By that comment 40 would be old too you. It's cool! You to are in the race and right behind us.

OldSkool, I have the same views you do and that's why I haven't done it. Plus my good HS friends are like family at this point and they all can txt me.

Mrsound, You make sense. I could always delete it if i didn't like it. Or after it got out of hand and then it's too late..lol!!!

Well 40 is double my age so to me its old. But comparing it to a lifetime, 40 is not even middle age. So it just depends how you look at it.

Mosh
09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Productively busy people do not have time for it.

I love it...Don't have it...Never have.
Employers, Financial institutions, tax auditor's, the govt, corporations, watch everything you do or post on there. If you smoke, drink, have tattoo's, listen to rap, or purple hair, and someone does not like that stuff..You just lost a job...Maybe even a home loan...
If you think your "private" pages are really private, you are sorely mistaken..There are more whistle blowers other than Eric Snowden..Catch my drift?

But the good..... it keeps a lot of riff raff off internet forums.;)

Let me ad this for example.

Treyvon Martin ruling may have come out different had the jury not seen pictures of the kid portraying himself as some gang thug looking dude..Just sayin..
Like it or not..People see that stuff and judge a book by the cover. That is the reality of it all. To me, it is the National Enquirer of the web..

oldskool83
09-24-2013, 09:26 PM
I am on linked in. It has no drama. I get job offers and people who i work with via email end up finding me and adding me to my professional career. so linked in if your into the professional job....facebook if you want everyone and their sister knowing your every move.

El Camexican
09-25-2013, 01:44 AM
I don’t and won’t ever have a FB account. Wife has one and I made her clean it up the day I got an email of myself from someone I’d never met asking “Is this you?” I flipped. Privacy is highly underrated, especially when you live in a country full of kidnapers who use things like FB as tools.

ebaccm26
09-25-2013, 02:31 AM

I'm a college student (if that tells you anything about how "old" I am) and I have never had one nor wanted one. Social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc...) have no interest to me. Out of my closest friends I can only think of one who actually uses Facebook. I can think of a million better ways to spend my time and to be quite honest I could careless about what kind of mood someone is in or what they had for dinner or who did this or who did that. I have no urge to come home from ~12 hours of work/class to log on to Facebook and read about the whiny drama of people who have nothing better to do. Maybe it means I'm selfish but I simply don't care about other people's lives, if it is something important that involves someone I care about I will hear about it without the internet. With that said THIS site is great and I value the members on it and what they have to say (almost always) and this is the only site dealing with people that I frequent at this point.

I guess my point is no do not make a Facebook there is nothing productive about them unless used in some sort of business manner. The stupidity of Facebook is something I have always felt strongly about.

JasonB
09-25-2013, 10:18 AM
linkedin is great i found the job i am in now doing Physician Recruiting with it. ad me if you're on there, jason barton

hinddee29
09-28-2013, 07:53 AM
The things I've seem to notice by posters is that they don't have time for or don't want the drama. Yet these people live there life around this forum or others and get into a bunch of pissing matches. How is this any different? The difference is there you are your own monitor. You can choose how sees what, you get decide who gets banned from your page (unlike here you get so many strikes). If you are worried about big brother don't post the crap online period!! That should be a no brainer... Here is a news flash the government created the internet so if you
don't think they are monitoring the entire web you are setting yourself up for failure. People that are that paranoid (including myself at times) :) needs to stop all communication over the
net, emails, texting, phone of any kind. Yet no one has problems using these... Learn about social media use it to your advantage not theirs... No one likes change, but this stuff is the future and advancing at the speed of light. You have to adapt...

Here is an example how FB could be of some use. It is another way to find what your kids are really doing. You may think you know, but you really don't... I wish I would have
done this before my sons suicide a couple years ago. I would go through his phone, but most of this traffic was going through FB instant messaging. So doing so would of help provide
warning signs that I didn't find until after the fact. If you're a parent you have to be involved like it or not!! Just remember all the crap you did behind your parents backs. Well it's a lot
easier now...

Ghostv2
09-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I completely agree Hinddee29.
3ww is a social network. You socialize with people here. You give out information on here whether you notice it or not. You post what you have in your garage to nearly 30,000 members. You talk about things at home. You tell people where you live, and who knows what else people give out here. You know what? Facebook you can control who sees it, this forum you cannot. Most people find this site by google and can search this forum in and out. Facebook has privacy settings, you can choose who you add and who sees your information. Unless your my friend on Facebook, you cannot see nothing about me but my profile picture.
Oh and you don't like the drama of Facebook? You can delete them, block them, you can hide their posts from being on your news feed, many ways around it. So I'm not sticking up for Facebook, I don't care if it exists or not. But you are in control of what people see.

People keep saying it's only good for business. What about all your long forgotten friends from high school, your family that moved away, or your current friends. The point of social networks is to stay connected. So it's not so bad. It's bad for young people because they just add whoever tries to be friends with them and doesn't care what they post. And then the whole cyber bully thing is mainly done through Facebook I imagine.

Take it as you will. Good or bad. Useful or worthless. You are in control. If your on the internet, your privacy is already gone. It just takes certain people to know where to look.
(All the other social networks though are pointless like twitter and Instagram)

atctim
10-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I have it and I enjoy it for 3 main reasons: #1 - really cool trike stuff on there. #2 - great way to communicate with friends. #3 - reminds me who the village idiots are!

ATC ADDICTED
10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
I am on FB, I use it regularly.... I log into 3 places every morning, FB, 3WW, 3W.org... I've found old friends I'd thought I'd never hear from again, made new friends, found out about this site thru one of the 3wheeler pages on FB. It is exactly what you make of it, the unfriend button is your friend and the fallow button comes in handy, it also works the other way.. You can set each friends account according to what you want to see on your news feed... Most of my friends stuff is set to important only, most of what I fallow are 3wheeler posts and mustangs stuff,,,, oh yeah political stuff too... It is full of drama if that is what you want to see,,,, but it is easily enough avoidable

oldskool83
10-02-2013, 10:17 AM
facebook is not good. employers check it now days. id rather have no part of it. my dads company just did this and he told me, it happens more then you think. private or not....not worth the risk.

Ghostv2
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
facebook is not good. employers check it now days. id rather have no part of it. my dads company just did this and he told me, it happens more then you think. private or not....not worth the risk.
I know they do but im curious how they do it without being your friend and if everything is private? Maybe you would know since your dads company does it.

atctim
10-03-2013, 03:14 PM

This is why the some people create two facebook pages, one with their real name and no nonsense on it. And then they will create a pseudo account with maybe their nickname or something an employer would not find in a search (although you can set your setting to not be able to be searched). Then just use the pseudo one for shenanigans and the like.

oldskool83
10-04-2013, 02:41 PM
seems like shady drama to me, easier not to have 2 sides to ya lol

hadar
10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I myself never bothered with FB. Everyone I know (or care to know) I have kept in touch with over the years at least to some degree. Everyone else can stick it. I can see how it might be useful for some and I don't knock users of it. I do however feel it paves the way for more sinister activities. Tracking human beings is not on my to do list in this lifetime or the next. Can we all have numbers and/or microchips embedded in our hands and foreheads next? Not saying it's the devil but I would like to know where it ends. To each they're own, I just like my privacy. I understand if you don't agree with me.

300rman
10-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Join up! Just dont post ANYTHING you wouldnt want to keep secret from ANYONE.

I am also very selective on who is in my friends list.

tri again
10-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Join up! Just dont post ANYTHING you wouldnt want to keep secret from ANYONE.

I am also very selective on who is in my friends list.

...as with anything.
They say, netwise, don't post anything you wouldn't want gradma to see.

I JUST joined to see daughter and her wedding and family pix so I clicked the max hidden security whatevers...
The friend that talked me into it after much kicking and screaming, Constantly posts political and conspiracy crap..so I actually go so sick of reading that stuff, I went to block her and it gave me the option of blocking her posts.

I just wanna see baby pictures, not 10 political posts, chicago murder rates, gmo foods and how we're all gonna die from big pharma.

Now what if some idiot friend of a friend posts and I'm a friend of friend of some idiot,??
posting political crap? am I now on the no-fly list?

BigRed_Ryno
10-05-2013, 07:16 PM
I've been on it 6 or 7 years now I think, It was well cool at first an I had loads of friends (700+) but now its the same old stuff, same people whinging week in week out, with a few more interesting things/people. I try to keep a lid on my 'friends' list (<300) if you wouldn't say hello to me in the street then why add me on FB?! I've got much fewer friends now, more the people I do have a bit more to do with, or at least something funny to say. On the other hand, the banter that goes on between close friends and family (esp those further away) is great, also the growing number of pages selling cars & trikes/bikes etc are pretty useful and the common interest of 3-wheeler (trike) based pages is awesome... In the UK here there seems to be as much trike stuff come up for sale on FB as on ebay, which isn't a great deal anyway. definately plenty of 'good' connections, but far too many annoying ones.....
An i'd welcome any of you guys adds (as long as there is no game requests!)

TecateDan
10-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Never had one and I like it that way. People I like I text, call or ride with!!!! Makes it nice to catch up and actually talk to people