PDA

View Full Version : 250r not running to potential.

smonnat_1
09-24-2013, 03:21 PM
my 85 250r is bogging out and not running the way it should. I think it has to do with the jetting but I could be wrong. I'm running a 145 main jet, my clip is in the middle and my air skrew is out 2 turns. my modifications consist of:
69mm wiseco piston
stroker crank with cylinder spacer
boyeson reeds
fmf pipe "esr pipe coming soon"
esr air box delete kit
and I live in upstate New York.
I'm running amsoil mixed 32:1

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jwmajic
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
My brother had that problem with his 250r he bought last weekend and when he took it apart he discovered it had a needle out of a 660 raptor stuck in there. (Waiting for him to come up this weekend to see how they got it in there.)

smonnat_1
09-24-2013, 05:05 PM
I ordered a carb rebuild kit and replaced everything

RIDE-RED 250r
09-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Hey there smonnat_1, welcome from a fellow upstater!

Please don't be offended if you have already covered the basics, but I have to ask to be sure.

First thing you need to do is make sure you have fresh fuel in the tank and it is adequately supplying the carb. Next thing is FULLY disassemble the carb and thoroughly clean it, top to bottom, inside and out, every piece, every jet and every fuel and air passage in the carb body.

Once done cleaning, check float height and adjust as necessary. If you can tell me what carb you have on your R I can give you the float height spec.

That would be the first couple steps in addressing your poorly performing R. Do those things if you have not yet done them and report back..

smonnat_1
09-24-2013, 07:20 PM
hey RIDE-RED 250r, I was tinkering with the jets tonight. bumped up to a 160 main jet and it runs decent but it's not really taking off when the power band kicks in. it just keeps cutting out

CodyRosa
09-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Hello Smonnat! Just curious if you've done the most simplest thing.. have you checked your spark plug yet? How old is this plug? The simple change of an old plug to a new can do wonders. It could fix your problem without needing to jet or could just run better in general.

atc300r
09-25-2013, 06:47 AM
Welcome neighbor Im in Carthage NY .Do you have another coil to try.My 85 250r had similar trouble couple years ago .It would start fine idle fine anything over like 1/4 throttle and it would sputter .I messed with the carb ,plugs ,fuel mixture,airfilter,Finaly I decided to try another coil and it was like a whole new trike.There are some atv drags at Harrisville this weekend you should come.Im running two of my aircooled Rs.

smonnat_1
09-25-2013, 08:10 PM
jeez Carthage is pretty close. I have to work Saturday so i don't know if I'll be able to make it to the drags but you should PM me your number. I have a camp on the Texas road close to Carthage and live just outside of croghan. we have to meet up and go riding sometime lol

atc300r
09-26-2013, 07:45 AM
I ride the trails and power lines in that area.Riding together sounds awsome.

88RGuy
09-28-2013, 12:19 AM
check your whole wiring harness for shorts to ground.. my buddy had the same prob with his 85' atc 250r... he changed his whole harness just for sh**s and giggles and whallah!!, back to throwin roost immediately.. lol.. good luck..

88RGuy
09-28-2013, 12:30 AM
also the stock jetting for the 34mm roundslide is as follows

main # 142
pilot/slow #52

this is straight out of the honda service manual....

since your engine has a 3mm overbore, these numbers are not what u should be running,,, they are just a basis for u to start from.. hope u get it fixed bud... happy ridin :)