PDA

View Full Version : 350x engine question

Horbie
09-26-2013, 03:44 AM
So I recently picked up an 85 350x from a younger fella that said he had it all tore apart and it needs a new topend, also it was nearly impossible to start and when it did, it smoked out an entire block. Well after taking the carb off the intake manifold was in almost 2 pieces so after replacing that and cleaning the carb it now starts in less than 5 kicks, the top end chatterd louder than the DG exhaust on it, so I adjusted the valves and both intake and exhaust were at about .03 so I set both to what is recomended .003 and the chatter seems to be defenitly less but a little pronounced, I don't know if i'd call it a knock but maybe. Now forgive me i'm not entirely familiar with this motor yet so my description may be funny but if you put a wrench or screwdriver on the motor right between the decompression cable and oil line near the valve cover you can about feel the "tick" in the wrench. What's your guys opinion, anything else I can try to adjust or is it just time to pull it? also now that I have it running it doesnt smoke at all, not one bit. Don't know if that helps anything but thought i'd throw it out there. Thanks

RDH/86200X
09-26-2013, 04:09 AM
Might be the timing chain. I normally replace them when I get a new trike. All of these bikes are old and its probably still got the original one in it ( its a Honda they don't like to die ). Check the adjustment for it. I have never been around a 350x but my guess is that its on the back side of the jug somewhere. Someone else will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Horbie
09-27-2013, 03:17 AM
Thanks RDH, i'll probably just go through with rebuilding the top end and replacing associated parts while im in there.

CodyRosa
09-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Well before you tearing in to it have you checked motor mounts? Are they all there and tight? Is the motor tight against the motor mounts? On my dirtbike i can slide my motor left to right.. it only moves the amount of a washer but its enough to rattle the whole bike when throttle is given. Its more than likely your motor but it is worth a check as it takes 1min.

88RGuy
09-28-2013, 01:11 AM
could be a timing chain prob.. slappin the case cuz its super loose.. or the wrist pin could be worn out.. or the piston and pin.. if its not smokin at least a lil bit tho, id say a piston being worn out is not likely.. good luck bud..

85XMAN
11-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey I am new to the page and having some trouble finding a forum on how to remove the timing chain. Sooo... first off I just bout an 85' 350X and the exhaust studs of course are broke off tried all my welding tricks and what not nothing is workin so I have decided to just man up and take the head off and take it to the mill...... but.... I got everything off head bolts loose and all cannot figure out how to get the timing chain off?? Im fairly mechanically inclined but no mechanic lol. I looked for a master link prob sounds dumb but I cannot figure this out anyone know how im sure its stupid simple.

fcf35
11-21-2013, 02:33 AM
I betcha I know your exact problem.if you haven't already pulled the head when you talk the valve cover off and look you'll see your rockers are completely worn.then when you get your cam out you'll see that the end opposite the sprocket is worn down and the journals are wore out.I've had two that way so far.I was dissapoint about the two heads being bad but I had extras.don't quote me but I think you may be able to have them machined and get an aftermarket can with a bearing.

hitmeup760
11-21-2013, 03:01 AM
85xman You will see a timing chain tensioner on the back right side of the cylinder, remove the tensioner and you will have enough slack to remove the cam and have the lobes polished, I would also recommend cleaning the cylinder head.

85XMAN
11-21-2013, 09:41 PM
thanks man I ended up pulling the gear off. and pulling the cam. I am currently lookin for a reputable machine shop I have a few exhaust studs and one valve cover bolt broken off to get out, also gonna do a head plane and valve job on 2 heads. thanks for the info tho!