PDA

View Full Version : Finally got GPS

ditchmud
09-27-2013, 01:41 AM
I've had it in my cars and on my phone, but those don't do too much good in the backwoods where we like to ride. Many times I have gotten a little mixed up and a little lost where gps would have been great to have . I finally broke down and got a handheld gps and a handlebar mount for it. I was very pleased to spend less than $100 for the set up. I can't wait to try it out on the trails in Michigan next weekend. Any advise on its use?

Buck Snort
09-27-2013, 10:21 AM
I love mine. When I first got my gps I used it everywhere I went. Just kept messing around with it for practice. I would say read the manual and practice.

coolpool
09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Great tool to have as long as you know how to use it; practice, practice, practice. I do find that if you're in heavily treed areas they don't work worth a darn. And you may find the direction pointer may spin a bit until you start moving. For those reasons I still carry a compass to get me going in the right direction until the GPS sorts itself out. And don't doubt where it says to go, that's one of the biggest mistakes folks make when travelling the backcountry, relying on feel instead of the equipment.

El Camexican
09-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Any advise on its use?
Make sure you have it mounted on some sort of shock absorbing material, or it won't last long on the bars.