PDA

View Full Version : honda fat cat valve adjustment

fcf35
09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Anyone have any tips on valve adjustment on these?I don't have a manual yet.

88RGuy
09-27-2013, 11:54 PM
id start at about .007" ,, then start it and if its a lil loose sounding close the gap by a .001 till its quiet.. then u should be fine.. the intake is usually a .001" tighter than the exhaust lash... usually.. take my word or just google it or ask honda?? happy ridin.. i believe the intake should be close to .003 and the exhaust .004...

200x350xtriz250
09-28-2013, 04:05 PM
id start at about .007" ,, then start it and if its a lil loose sounding close the gap by a .001 till its quiet.. then u should be fine.. the intake is usually a .001" tighter than the exhaust lash... usually.. take my word or just google it or ask honda?? happy ridin.. i believe the intake should be close to .003 and the exhaust .004...

^Clearly you have never adjusted the valves on a Fatcat. No feeler gages used. Wrong information is worse than no information, if you don't know, don't reply. You are right when it comes to motors when feeler gages are used, .003 to .004 is normal, although I personally wouldn't start at .007 and go from there, just set it at what the manual calls for and be done.

Adjusting the valves on your Fatcat is the same as the 86-87 ATC200x and 86-88 TRX200sx. You can download a manual for the 86-87 200x here:
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
The basics are:

remove cover at top of motor on shifter side
remove small cap between adjusters to view end of cam
rotate engine using the kicker to find Top Dead Center (TDC) there should be an arrow on the end of the cam and a mark on the motor on either the top or bottom of the hole you are looking through - line them up
loosen adjuster bolts
rotate adjusters until resistance is felt - I don't remember which way to rotate them, you will have to check the manual for that
rotate adjuster the opposite way one graduation
retighten adjuster bolts making sure adjusters do not move
reinstall cap to cover cam end
reinstall cover

Here's a pic I copied off of ebay of the valve adjustment area on a Fatcat motor for reference:

Ghostv2
09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
^Well you don't have to be a jerk about it.
We are all here to learn.

Glad your not a teacher. (Hopefully)

200x350xtriz250
09-28-2013, 07:57 PM
^Well you don't have to be a jerk about it.
We are all here to learn.

Glad your not a teacher. (Hopefully)

Sorry I didn't wrap my answer in butterflies, rainbows and fuzzy bunny slippers for you. You are right, we - including me - are all here to learn. As I stated above, if you don't know the right answer, do not answer. If that is being a jerk, I'm sorry. seems like common sense to me. But bad information is worse than no information and I have been seeing a lot of bad information given around here lately.

fcf35
09-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks man.I haven't ever worked on one of these engines so I really appreciate the help.my buddy got this fatcat for 500 bucks.its in decent shape and doesn't smoke.definitely takes some getting used to riding especially on gravel.