PDA

View Full Version : What is the most reliable/unreliable atc ever made

King Trikester
09-28-2013, 04:12 PM
In your opinion, what is the best model ever made, I'm talking reliability down the exact year. Any story's And pics would be awsome.

I got My first atc when I was a teenager. It was a 84 200es, I treated it so bad, I regret what I did to the poor old Girl, I bought it for 250$ never did a thing to it, no oil change, never touched the spark plug for the 2 Summers that I rode it. I was young and dumb and did not appreciate atc's like I do now. This is the one that started it all for me. The reason I'm into these is because I started to miss this old girl.

My brother in law also had one and we rode the **** out of them every day, I put it through he'll and back almost every time I rode it, I rolled, drowned it , took it around the local track and got huge air with it. Had tones of wipe outs, a couple near death experiences involving cars and other things. It never let me down once, we had a blast, we laughed so hard at all the random things that would happen. If I drowned it I would just bomb start it and off I went again. I ran it out of oil going wide open in 5th gear up a hill, it cut out on me twice before I realized it had no oil. It smoked like no ones business after that but It still ran and drove just fine.

The end of her life was a few days later when I managed to break the rear axle, only one wheel turned. I took it to my friend that was an atv mechanic to get it fixed and he talked me out of it, I had not yet Discovered eBay and he told me that you could not get parts for them. So it sat around in his yard for a Couple years untile one of his friends wanted it, so I gave it away.

I regret doing all of this and I wish I still had her. I recently became addicted to them (I blame this site). I tried getting a hold of this guy to see if I could buy her back but he sold her.

R.I.P. I am sorry for abusing you and if I ever find you I will restore you.

Ghostv2
09-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I don't think I could answer this. Every atc with the proper care and maintence will be reliable.
Which atc will everyone pick? The one they grew up on or currently own because they FAVOR it or sentimental reasons.
Treat it right and it will keep on going. Example: my 85 200s my dad got new back when, starts first pull, doesn't smoke, all original. Never had a rebuild or replace anything yet besides tires. The OEM ones lasted until 2 years ago. Shocker yes. Still got the original front one though on it.

King Trikester
09-28-2013, 08:59 PM
thats cool, I like hearing things like that, i just love atc's. I agree, i take better care of my atc's now, that was 5 years ago ive grown up a bit, I have a kid now I cant be acting stupid. I wish we had a camera for some of the stuff we did, it was halarious. so many good times on my 84es, im actually going to buy one in less then 2 hours from now. I will post some pics tomorow.

just ben
09-28-2013, 09:12 PM
They are all reliable some just had some parts that couldn't keep up with the rest of their awesomeness.

Ghostv2
09-28-2013, 11:49 PM
thats cool, I like hearing things like that, i just love atc's. I agree, i take better care of my atc's now, that was 5 years ago ive grown up a bit, I have a kid now I cant be acting stupid. I wish we had a camera for some of the stuff we did, it was halarious. so many good times on my 84es, im actually going to buy one in less then 2 hours from now. I will post some pics tomorow.
You may say you were younger and didn't make the best decisions with the big red but you enjoyed it, you made memories with it, and you moved on from it. Yea you probably regret giving away the one that started it all but maybe it was time to let someone else catch the bug that we all got here. The atc bug. As long as you enjoyed it, then it was worth it.

I like to kind of live by what my favorite man said and I kind of think it applies to this too.
"Time you enjoyed wasting was time not wasted at all." - John Lennon

Kind of sounds like I'm comforting you about a lost loved on, but hey it kinda is. :lol:

coolpool
09-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Let's heat this debate up some :naughty: Honda's are the most reliable and a Polaris' will always let you down.

Ghostv2
09-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Let's heat this debate up some :naughty: Honda's are the most reliable and a Polaris' will always let you down.
I agree but then again I never owned a Polaris. Only 4 wheeler I ever owned was a 02 blaster and then I traded it for a 200x like a month later.

Island rider
09-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Whoa whoa whoa I agree with the honda part but I had a Polaris scrambler 500 and rode that thing all the time!!! And never had a problem.

Buck Snort
09-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I have had 3 Polaris quads and really liked them. But I have to agree ,there is nothing like a Honda.

Ghostv2
09-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Wish I could experience the Polaris trike. Nonexistant around here.

kebby28
09-29-2013, 10:01 PM
I never knew polaris made a trike... I also had a 84 or 85 200s and pounded it 19 years ago. Had a strap tied to the front so my buddy could easily pop start me with his 200es. The recoil set up wasn't so reliable and the chain fell off on occasion but it always ran... ok so I went threw a few ignition coils... But Honda all the way.

King Trikester
09-29-2013, 10:20 PM
http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-Polaris-scrambler-three-wheeler-W0QQAdIdZ503248358 I don't Know how much he wants for these but they look pretty cool. I think one of you guys should come across the border and Buy them. Then we could find out what they are like. grand forks bc is super close to the border. Some one needs to take One for the team and give theses Polaris atc's a good home. I would if I could but its 15hours away and I don't have the. $$$$$

kebby28
09-29-2013, 11:10 PM
http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-Polaris-scrambler-three-wheeler-W0QQAdIdZ503248358 I don't Know how much he wants for these but they look pretty cool. I think one of you guys should come across the border and Buy them. Then we could find out what they are like. grand forks bc is super close to the border. Some one needs to take One for the team and give theses Polaris atc's a good home. I would if I could but its 15hours away and I don't have the. $$$$$

Hmmm, not the best looking 3 wheeler out there...

Big G
09-30-2013, 01:22 PM
...im actually going to buy one in less then 2 hours from now. I will post some pics tomorow.

Did you buy it?

King Trikester
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM
that was a honda 84 es, an I have not bought it yet, but i am going to soon

MasterYota
10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Having owned a polaris, and blown up 2 others, I have to agree Honda>polaris. Treated Hondas like a redheaded stepchild and never had an issue.

rg97
10-22-2013, 10:53 PM
1 honda
2 yamaha and kawi tie
3 polaris
4 slowzuki

nuff said

in terms of reliability for specific models, i say the big red or the honda 185/200 series are on top. there were lots of small-brand companies that made 3 wheelers that werent too great, but in terms of big name models, polaris...

BuellBen
10-23-2013, 08:13 AM
I still have the beat and battered 200s I grew up on. Its not running but hope to someday resurrect it. My parents bought it for me when I was 14. I currently ride a near mint og 86 250sx, I picked it up for 800 bucks (steal). I couldn't be happier and will always have a Honda trike. Im 31 so I don't need much speed, but would love a late model 200x or any 200x for that matter.

David Ham
10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
My vote would be that the ATC110's from 1979-84 would be the most reliable in stock form. I know that in my family we rode our 1980 non-stop on weekend family trips for about 10 years. I don't even remember my pops changing the oil or spark plug for that matter! My brother & I crashed that thing more times than I can count but could never stop it from starting right up & running perfect! GOOD MEMORIES!

BuellBen
10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
The only downside to my 84 200es is the front axel set-up, which is different from previous models. I don't understand why my older model 200s has the better set-up. My es lacks the square metal flange that bolts onto the right fork, which allows you to remove rim/tire without pulling the axel. My wheel would spin fine but the axel wouldn't back out so eventually removed lower fork legs and had the axel pressed out of the entire assembly. It went back in fine so all good now.

muthey
10-26-2013, 11:08 PM
I agree Honda's will take a pounding and keep going, but therein lies the problem, because around here that is exactly what is done to them. I actually prefer my Yamaha's as they are better taken care of and easier to work on for me not many Kawasaki's around here but I do have one that is my next spring project.

King Trikester
10-27-2013, 10:20 PM
The only downside to my 84 200es is the front axel set-up, which is different from previous models. I don't understand why my older model 200s has the better set-up. My es lacks the square metal flange that bolts onto the right fork, which allows you to remove rim/tire without pulling the axel. My wheel would spin fine but the axel wouldn't back out so eventually removed lower fork legs and had the axel pressed out of the entire assembly. It went back in fine so all good now.

I had the same problem with my front axel on my 84 200es that I recently change the front tire on. It took me a lot of time and effort to get the axle out, like you said, other models are a piece of cake.

ps2fixer
11-01-2013, 09:29 AM

I'd have to throw in an I agree for Honda being most reliable, facing the facts, that is what honda is known for. I have no experence with Polaris (and sadly refuse to) for 3 wheelers, however my uncle and his friend down south owned a quad by them. Lots of chain problems, roll overs (probably same story as the trikes, drunks etc), and their extra mods didn't help like the front rack mounted car batter hitting the owner in the head in one of his tip overs. When the guy next to my mom/dads bought the polaris off my uncle, he ran it out of oil and locked the engine up. He got it freed up and it ran for a while and he did it again and that was the end of it. Same guy did the same thing with a yamaha blaster and it lasted him around 3 years.

On the plus side, of what I read/heard polaris makes a good sled, just not things with wheels. Wonder why honda never got into making sleds, seems like the brand name would sell it in a hurry.