PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a fuel tank on 200x

R.J.M.
09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
After u clean the tank with vinegar I seen someone say flush it really well with water and baking soda to counter act the acid. Is there a certain ratio that u use or just mix a good amount? Just wanting to get all my ducks n a row before I start this process. Also I got the petcock and filter out of the tank but there is still a rubber seal in there that the filter slides thru, how do I remove that so that everthing will flow out the hole.

R.J.M.
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Guess I'll just wing it

kb0nly
10-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Odd nobody else replied to this....

I shall comment! If you haven't done it already, i just plug the petcock hole with a cork from the hardware store. Then soak, pour out, once its clean to my satisfaction a spoonful of baking soda and water could be added, however i don't bother with that. What i do is rinse thoroughly with clean water, shaking and rinsing until all the loose rust is out and its clean, if you have to use some pressure, a spray nozzle or what i normally use is my pressure washer to really blast it out inside. Then i just flush it out with some fresh gas, reinstall the petcock, get it back together and on the trike and fill it up with fresh fuel quick to prevent any flash rust, done deal.

R.J.M.
10-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks kb I really appreciate the help. Haven't done it yet goin to wait until this weekend to do it. What about the seal that's in the bottom where the petcock goes, how do u remove that to let it drain?

Bren_downe
10-01-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about the fuel strainer? It's a long plastic tube that goes into the tank and is covered with a screen. I used a small flathead screw driver to pry one side in, then grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Slow and steady pulling is the key.

R.J.M.
10-01-2013, 03:29 PM
I got the strainer/filter out, there is a rubber seal that it slides thru still n there. I'll take a pic of it tonight when I get home to show u what I'm talkin about.

Bren_downe
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
If the strainer is out I wouldn't worry about any rubber seal. I believe the vinegar won't hurt it.

effort=results
10-01-2013, 03:45 PM
I removed petcock and just dumped a half a box in there and then powerwashed it .

R.J.M.
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Wasn't concerned about it eating the seal was just wanting it out so all that crud will flow out easier rather than clogging, right now the hole is no bigger than the strainer.

kb0nly
10-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Your not gonna have to worry about the rubber but for the purpose of flushing it out its easier if its gone. I believe the 200X tank is the same as the others and that rubber just comes out. Problem is possibly doing damage to it while removing it. I would leave it and just turn the tank upside down to drain out the fill hole.

webbch
12-21-2013, 07:31 PM
As for getting the strainer out...not sure if the size of the strainer is different on a 200x, but on my 84 200s, I just used a 5/16-18 tap and screwed it into the fuel strainer a little ways with a T-handle tap wrench. Once it felt solid, gave it a single good tug and pulled it right out no problem.

hoosierlogger
12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
After you flush it with baking soda and water, rinse it real good with water. Then pour in a pint of acetone and rinse it real good with that 2 or 3 times. The acetone will absorb any residual water.

bkvette3
12-22-2013, 02:51 AM
I used Metal Rescue with amazing results. Tank was like new on the inside. Eco-friendly stuff. Safe on everything except rust. No need to remove petcock and filter.