PDA

View Full Version : 4R70W Transmission--HELP!

300rman
09-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Ok, so I stuffed a 5.0 into my Ranger.....

I have been driving it problem free for about 5000 miles, and then something broke.

I am pretty sure it is a valve body/solenoid issue.

Ok, so I parked my truck, came back out 5 minutes later, and no reverse unless its revved up. Then it slams into gear and goes. For about 15 reverses, then it stopped completely, for the most part, once in a while it will catch, but the problem got a lot worse in a hurry..... Forward is similar, and the shifts are VERY soft, but after it engages into gear, it stays and doesnt slip-but before it engages, it slips REAL bad.....I limped it to our shop.

When I parked the truck, it was perfectly fine. So something happened while it was parked. I have done some reading, and it seems like it suddenly starting like that after parking the vehicle isnt too uncommon. But I havent been able to stumble into any resolutions.

I came back out a day later and went to move the truck, and it drove just fine until the trans warmed up, then it went back to the same issues. After it engages, it will stay perfectly engaged in lower RPMs, until you hit 1500 RPM or so (right about when it would disengage so you can stop), then it falls out of gear. Doesnt seem to slip as its going down the road, but taking off from the light is bad news, it feels like its slipping terribly until it slams into gear.

The warmer the trans gets, the worse the problem gets. it gets to the point where it slips like hell, then will grab into gear, then slip back out, back in. back out, and just behave very erratically and slip real bad until it actually engages for good. (in not driving the truck anymore, I dont want to burn the clutches out or break any hard parts)

A few other bits of information:.

When I installed the trans, I had to replace the pump in the front of the trans, the shaft was snapped. Its been driving just fine for about 5000 miles, but I was curious if maybe something let loose in there and is creating the problem,

One final note, the truck has a PCM tune. The shifts have been firmed up via the tune, not sure of that could have maybe caused a solenoid/seal failure. But, the problem arose after I parked it, not while I was driving it.

I am thinking and hoping it is the main pressure regulator, they are known to be a weak link in these transmissions, and it would make sense because EVERYTHING stopped working right so suddenly.

I also read this:

Your solenoid reg valve is sticking in the bore when it gets hot. The vehicle will work fine cold as the valve is in the relaxed position. Once a set of shifts has been made and the valve is stroked, it will seize in the bore. This is because the slight wear in the bore, swelling from heat, and the balance pressure cause just enough resistance to overcome the spring. This is why it clunks coming out of 4th (reg pressure is incorrect). The bigger issue is that the pressure on the solenoid b circuit will build and stroke the 2-3 shift valve ever so slightly. Since 3rd requires the forward clutch to disengage, the forward clutch pressure is bled off on the other side of this valve... resulting in a neutral at a stop that will slam into gear repeatedly. Sonnax offers a resizing kit and an upgraded valve to correct the problem. or you could try another valve body. Careful not to mix early and late designs due to an epc tcc balance hole in the plate, and a regulated plunger under it in the tcc valve.

Anyone have any ideas, I know there are some good techs here!

tri again
10-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I got pretty lucky with ford-trucks.com.
or f150forums.com
A lot like this site with lots of people who care.

Since you've been all around that thing, vacuum lines go Everywhere, as you well know.
Not sure of the year but the computer is also a controller of shifting ..

I think kb may haver replace a capacitor in the pcm computer for 50 cents.
Funny thing is that capacitors can 'heal' themselves and act normally until they don't again.

I know ford-trucks.com works but will look for the other site names for you.
You can use the search key without registering and I neer got any junkmail from registering.

Hope it helps.

ps-
Any error codes showing?
If the computer is funky, it won't tell on itself.

300rman
10-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I have one, something about a TCC problem. But, this code can be tripped by low line pressure, and TCC wouldnt affect 1st or reverse.

Its all electronic controlled, no vacuum. I am going to drop the valve body and go through it and install a shift kit (comes with 2 solenoids, and requires all the plungers to be removed). I figure if the problem is in the valve body, I will find it. If not, I will pull the shift kit stuff back out and take it to get rebuilt.