PDA

View Full Version : 97 chevy 350 vortec problems HELP PLEASE

200xman123
09-30-2013, 06:41 PM
hey guys , i have a 97 chevy vortec 350 i just got from my buddie , when he had it it would start run fine and die when warm so he bought a new distributer cap and rotor for it and just set it in did not aline anything just set it in. after that when he would turn it over it would pop sputter but not start he go frusterated and sold it to me after sitting for about 8 months. i got it thinking it was just a matter of finding tdc pointing the distributor to #1 on the cap and it would run like a top . things didnt happen as planned , i put it to TDC on compression stroke using the timing marks on the harmonic balencer and lined it up with the notch on the block . after this i tried starting it , it was WAY better then before but still would not run worth a trailpro it starts stumbles very badley and pitters out , with your foot to the floor it will go to 450 rpms max but dies after about 30seconds to a minute later, when you give it no gas it pops sputters and will idle for about 30 seconds barley running at maybe 150 rpms max i am really confused because it has a new cap an rotor the timing (as far as me and my buddies can tell) is spot on and she she still wont stay running! i plugged in my obd2 reader and its throwing codes for cam positioning senson, catalytic converter (its straight piped) and my egr valve would the cam positioning sensor cause it to do this? or maybe a junk pcm:confused: i really need some help and dont know were to go now i havnt worked on a rig this new so i am drawing planks any help is appreciated greatly thanks for your time

Cornholio
09-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Check the coil pack. My uncles 94 chevy had a wire arcing out coming from the coil on the mount/bracket that holds the coil pack. And it randomly stalled because of that. But, i dont know if its the same problem youre having, or if it will fix anything

6speedthumper
09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
The reason why it is throwing the cam position sensor code is because the distributor HAS to be "degreed in" using a computer that supportes DATASTREAM. The vortec is not like older designs where it's simple TDC on comp stroke, then dial in with a timing light from there. You HAVE to adjust the cam retard on the Vortec 350 and 454. The DATATSTREAM will show you the cam retard, and all you do is have someone turn the distributor until the cam retard is within spec. I forget the spec though... I'd have to look it up on my ALLDATA.

But, start there, get is dialed in, and then you can make any other diagnoses you need to for other powertrain management systems that have issues. The CAT code could also be from the cam retard being out of spec, and the air/fuel not being burned correctly. I know you said it is straight piped, but, you didn't say if the CAT was still there or not.

200xman123
09-30-2013, 08:52 PM
thank you bolth for your replies , cornholio thats a great idea but im pretty sure that the vortec does not have coil packs because it has the flat topped distributor ( just what ive heard) and 6 speed thumper you gave me some GREAT info i might sound dumb for asking but what is data stream and who would have the machine to do it? is it something only a dealer has? or does autozone have one i could rent/ buy? thanks you guys bolth for the info and about the straight piping all it has for exhaust is two pipes that come down off the manifolds ( buddie cut off the cats because he thought they were plugged)

6speedthumper
09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
The Vortec has a single coil, just like cars from the years prior to it. You have to get the cam retard dialed first before you can do anything. I don't know if Autozone or Advanced has a computer that does DATASTEAM. We have about 5 computers at the shop that do it. What DATASTREAM is, is this; it displays ALL operating functions and parameters from the PCM (powertrain control modual) and engine management systems. It displays all numerical values for/including; RPM, intake air temp, ignition timing, cam retard, engine temp, egr data, misfire counter, injector PWM, exhaust gas temp, vehicle speed, and LOTS more!

Just go to a reputable shop and have it done. It take no more then a 1/2 hour. Actually it takes less when you've done it lots.

6speedthumper
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Also, that distributor is use in the 4.3 V6 as well. If you remove the dist. cap, and look at the base where the cap seals against, you will notice two little triangulare pads (if memory serves) about the size of a thumb tack. One will have 6 stamped on it, the other an 8. The dist. shaft has to be turned in a certain position inside the dist. tube so it will work with the engine it's going it (6 or 8). For the life of me I cannot remember just what it is on the dist. that points to the 8 on the base of it... Too much crap to remember anymore.

Cornholio
09-30-2013, 11:25 PM
The Vortec has a single coil, just like cars from the years prior to it. You have to get the cam retard dialed first before you can do anything. I don't know if Autozone or Advanced has a computer that does DATASTEAM. We have about 5 computers at the shop that do it. What DATASTREAM is, is this; it displays ALL operating functions and parameters from the PCM (powertrain control modual) and engine management systems. It displays all numerical values for/including; RPM, intake air temp, ignition timing, cam retard, engine temp, egr data, misfire counter, injector PWM, exhaust gas temp, vehicle speed, and LOTS more!

Just go to a reputable shop and have it done. It take no more then a 1/2 hour. Actually it takes less when you've done it lots. Yeah, Its just one big coil behind the throttle body.

wonderboy
10-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Stupid question (I don't know this engine) but maybe it can help: Are you sure the spark plug wires are put on the cap in the correct order? Recheck the firing order and also make sure you went in the correct direction around the cap when going over the firing order.

6speedthumper
10-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Good point^^^. Not easy to mess up on the Vortec of the '90s. Their caps are not round; they're flat, all the towers are labeled for each cylinder, and each side of the cap (passenger and drivers) is labeled in numerical order of the cylinders on that side. IE: 2468/1357. If the firing order was incorrect, it should throw misfire codes, such as - PO300 (generic misfire) - PO301 (cylinder #1 misfire) - PO302 all the way to PO308. But still, check the firing order to be safe.

MTS
10-02-2013, 10:28 PM
sounds like someone pulled the distrib out and it went back in off a tooth or two...like thumper said..theres an 8 arrow on the base..if you pull it back out with 1 at tdc..should be able to line the pins for the gear up with the mark..turn it back one tooth and drop it in..bump the key and it should plop in..not like the old hei..if the rotor lines up perfect with 1 it will be out..needs to line up with the 8 mark . from there you need the data stream to set your cmp retard to 0, depending on the modle you might have to spred the fixed factory hold down to do so. even close without it should run not bad, sounds like its out one or 2 teeth, and or a couple plug wires are mixed up.