PDA

View Full Version : GREAT SITE !....new member from long island

yameeha225dx
10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
hello all,....finally picked up a 85 225dx yamaha after searching for a while,,... first project was to clean out carb (bike was sitting 5yrs and was dumping fuel out of carb), it ran great when i bought it, then after the cleanout it no longer dumped fuel but it was backfiring a bit and running rough,....the starter plunger was stuck so i managed to free it up and re-installed it,....it seems to be working with the cable, but bike almost feels like its running with choke on:wondering......any thoughts or advise is appreciated................thanx in advance 178180

yameeha225dx
10-01-2013, 04:24 PM
got it running again and it ran MUCH BETTER with the airbox disconnected ????, hooked up airbox again and it ran really rough........theres no filter in the box !.....just trying to sort through the bike to see what else needs to be done........................

tri again
10-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Generally, airbox disconnected means less restriction and
helps it to run leaner.

You said it sounds like it's running with the choke on?

Can you click on:
service manual
?

I'm not familiar with yama carbs but someone will surely chime in.
Hondas suck air through the frame to get to the airbox so maybe a mouse nest or mud, beesnest etc?

CodyRosa
10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi, welcome to 3WW. We'll get your 225dx up and running in no time!

First question.. have you changed the spark plug? My plug worked but ended up crapping out on me after a bit.. so i'd suggest buying a new plug.

Then just like tri again said, check the frame for nests, acorns and whatnot. I don't know if this would make it run rich but check the end of your exhaust. Things like to make nests in there as well.

I'd suggest a carb rebuild kit for you, I tried looking for some but could not find any?

yameeha225dx
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
THANX for the info !.......when i bought bike, it ran ok with the airbox connected (no filter and connected to frame),but carb was dumping fuel, so i thoroughly cleaned out carb,and set pilot jet to 2-1/2 turns out, no more fuel dumping, but when i connect air box , it runs rough and wants to die (no blockages, and even had airbox pipe to frame disconnected !).....STRANGE....bike runs GOOD and idles fine without box !.....it ran ok before WITH the box, so it must be something in carb,:wondering.....like its not getting enough air???:wondering........accelerates good, but getting some popping out of DG pipe when you let off throttle,......if anyones interested, i would like to trade my DG PIPE, for a stock unit in GOOD condition, i would like to quiet bike down a bit,.....DG is in excellent condition.......clutch will be next issue, it slips when taking off, then grabs HARD.......got LOTS TO DO !:D............should be a FUN project !

CodyRosa
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Oh its been piped? You should check the size of those jets and let us know. The numbers are on the side of the jet at the top normally. Then check the plug, what are the numbers on it? My wheeler ran TERRIBLE for a month straight.. ended up ace hardware gave me the wrong plug. Popped a new one in and it ran perfect. Thing bogged all up and down, not as much power either.

Ghostv2
10-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Welcome to the forums. Looks like you have a nicer dx than i do. Im doing a mild restoration though. I had the same problem but mine was a bit more obvious. They used some foam from a mattress to use as a filter, the crankcase breather hose is routed into the air box on these and it ended up dumping excess oil inside the air box all over the filter and making a mess. Also looked like a mice nest soaked in oil in there too.

I hate how you have to unscrew 4 screws though to get into the air box. Wouldnt be an issue on the go if i had a toolkit.

yameeha225dx
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
pics CAN be deceiving ghost !....my dx is pretty ratty....im gonna do a nice resto on it, i enjoy taking something thats beat and bringing it back to life !!......i thought it looked great in the ad when i bought it also !......very dissapointed when i saw it......but living on long island, these machines are pretty hard to find for 500 bucks....so i bought it......its pretty much all there ... it runs and goes through the gears and the differential seems to be in great shape !, so i thought it was a good candidate for a resto.......................thanx cody, i'll look into those numbers, and YES, when the airbox is connected, it runs like its on choke, (like its starving for air and popping,-wont idle) but would love to swap the DG for a stock pipe/ baffle and headpipe..... if i can find one in good shape

Ghostv2
10-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Well i found it for my brother and my dad got it for him for his birthday, it was pretty cheap and running so i thought it was worth a shot. Looked good too in the pics. Its only motor work but since i have it all tore down and the motor out i might as well restore some of the parts while im at it. It was only $300 but i kinda felt bad so i have just been working on it.