PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 200x atc electrical issues

BillyBon3s
10-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I recently bought a 1985 honda 200x for $250 and it didn't run. I adjusted the carb on it and got it to fire, it was bellowing out white smoke. I adjusted the valves on it to see if that would help, but I can't get it started again. I pulled the plug and does have spark, but is weak. I read the service manual and did some ohm tests. The primary and secondary coil have more resistance than spec'd, the primary is at 1.3 ohms and the secondary is 8.42 k. Does this mean it's bad? Also did the cdi unit test and only got I reading, black to black/red at 168k. Manual says these are transistorized and if you don't have a certain meter you could get a false reading. Do I need a different tester? A new cdi unit? Even though I have a little spark. Can I have a bad cdi unit and still have a spark? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BillyBon3s
10-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Ok, just wanted to update you all. I bit the bullet and bought a new cdi unit, purchased used on eBay for $27. Put it in today and checked for spark, got a little jolt in the process. I put the plug in and fired right up. Hope this helps someone out.