PDA

View Full Version : 83 200m runs bad, video

King Trikester
10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
So it was running really good, then it started running like this, I cleaned the carb, drained the fuel and Replaced it. Then I took a different carb off a running machine (the original from this one) and it still runs Bad. It doesn't help to adjust the pilot screw. It can be all the way in or out to the point where it won't idle by By itself

NO-SCALES
10-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Is it me or is there no video????

King Trikester
10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
My phone died, and I can't upload the video, it idles fine in neutral, it revs up but back fires when I let off the throttle, when it's in gear it sputters and runs really bad, I can turn the pilot screw all the way in it out to the point where it won't idle by itself and it still sputters and runs bad,

kb0nly
10-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Have you checked the valve adjustments?

New spark plug?

How good is the spark?

Air filter?

Try removing cover from airbox in case the intake to it is plugged up?

Check ignition timing?

Check for airleaks around the intake? Mainly replacing the o-ring on the front of the carb and the front end of the intake if you have been swapping parts, those o-rings are usually hardened and shot.

Just have to go through it all.

King Trikester
10-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Spark is good I just picked up an o ring kit that's what I was thinking as well, thanks

King Trikester
10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
So I put new o rings in it and now it runs better but it has no power, almost like its getting to much full, maybe the carb Needs to be rebuilt? Anyone have an oem carb they would sell me? 1983 200m. Or any sugestions? Adjusting the pilot Screw does not help

tvpierce
10-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Try taking the muffler off and running it just with the header. It will be ridiculously loud, but this is just for diagnostic purposes.

I chased a poor running condition for months on my 200ES -- replaced ignition, air intake, fuel system... everything. Turns out my muffler was plugged-up -- which seemed odd because it had 3 extra holes due to rust and "modification" by a previous owner. In any event, once the exhaust was freed up, it ran like a top.

This may not be the problem with yours, but it's easy and free to check... so in my opinion, a worthwhile piece of diagnosis.

Good luck!

kb0nly
10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I second that suggestion, i had the same problem on my 200ES. Replacing the o-rings must have sealed up your air leaks if you had any. The fact the mixture screw doesn't affect it tells me either the carb has an issue or the motor isn't breathing well. I would pull the muffler off and see how it runs. If thats a big improvement then its the muffler.

Otherwise its time to rebuild the carb!

You can get a new chinese carb for these for under $30, about the same price as a rebuild kit. So its up to you, rebuild or replace, but both are a good option provided the original carb is in good serviceable condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Honda-ATC200M-ATC-200-M-1984-1985-NEW-Carb-/270920908086?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1424fd36&vxp=mtr

King Trikester
10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I think you guys might be right, I filled the exhaust full of water in a river and it started doing this, and the exhaust doesn't sound like it used to, I will try this when I get home

King Trikester
10-05-2013, 01:53 AM
So I ended up selling the two 83 200 m's, I basically sold them to buy a 84 es, it runs really good and shifts fine, electric Start Works great, just needs a tube in the front tire I will post pics once I have the tire on. I kinda miss the 200m I didn't have Them long but they both where in good shape.

King Trikester
10-05-2013, 01:54 AM
On the plus side I now have two possible new friends that I can go ridding with, I'm looking forward to that