PDA

View Full Version : My 125 project: She LIVES and BREATHES again!

auto5man
10-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Some of you may have seen my posts on 125's but this is a different one...let me explain. I have three 125's. Bought one last summer which runs, and I havn't posted pictures of. Shortly after that I bought a "parts bike" for 50.00. And then last month I bought another running 125 and that's the one I've posted several pictures of work I've been doing on that.

So back to the parts bike....a few weeks back I got to looking at it more closely and realized it's actually in better shape in a general way, than either one of the other 125's I have that run. It hasn't been rednecked to death and everything is pretty much original or close to it. The plastics are in pretty good shape and the tires are like new. So here is a pic showing the sad damage that doomed the poor thing to someones backyard. Not a great picture but you can see the damage to the left engine cover spacer and the missing sub trans.

I've never worked on an ATV before, just ridden them so I was a little intimidated about tearing into this motor....but I only spent 50.00 on in it the first place and figured I can't break what's already broke...go for it. That fateful decision led me to this site...now I'm addicted, as they say. Here is another picture of the spacer after removal:

Probably what happened is the chain came off at fairly good rate of speed (the chain had an obvious kink too) and bunched up on the front sprocket tearing out the housing.
Anyway, I got the spacer housing and recoil assembly from ebay, and various other small parts it needed from parts sites I learned about from 3WW and put her all back together again. The most challenging part was the right side of the engine with clutch parts and getting stuck screws and bolts out. Kb was a big help to me in strategies for dealing with that. Here is a series of pics showing a pin that the shift return spring fits onto. It was broken off below the surface...got it backed out with a left hand drill bit:

Here is everything back together except for the sub trans...got dark and had to save that for the next day.

And the next day I got the sub trans on (was a little tricky) and then back on the bike.

I had been dreading the inevitable carb rebuild, but today I tackled that. It was pretty dirty and gummed up with almost like a varnish looking build up. Some of the metal inside was corroded to the point that I almost decided to drop back and punt, and order an new carb (decided to press on and see what happened). A couple of the parts I wasn't able to get out, like the little plastic filter close to the petcock valve housing. Since I couldn't get all the plastic and rubber parts out I couldn't soak it in my paint can of carb clean. Kinda took shortcuts and scrubbed with kerosene and brushes, and soaked what I could. Blew out all the passages with compressed air. I used a Shindy carb rebuild kit that I got from G&H Discount ATV. The first pic shows how bad it looked on the inside, second pic shows the carb re-installed after cleaning and rebuild.

I have to say I didn't have much faith but decided that I've been this far, might as well give a try at starting. I forgot to check how many turns the pilot screw was turned when I took the carb apart, so I had to guess. I'm a total newb at this but let me tell you these Honda motors WANT TO LIVE. Took me about 20 pulls and trial and error backing out the screw to allow more fuel but here's what happened next:

http://youtu.be/SRvMwOBmt-w

WOOOOOHOOOoooooooooooo! I was sort of shocked that it started, I must say. After starting it ran great and will start on the first pull everytime. Feels like a total luxury to have a stock keyed ignition switch (my other two 125's don't). Obviously I have alot of work left to do, but I'm getting there....its downhill from here on out. At this point, all the work I have left to do I've done on my other 125 so it will be relatively smooth sailing. This trike has much better compression than my other two, its obvious. Shifted through all the gears while it was running so my work on the right side of the motor paid off. Sub trans shifts between high and low smoothly. Next will be new air filter, new chain, new sprockets (already replaced the front), then brake jobs front and rear, new brakes cables and exhaust cables, exhaust, new seat, etc. This post has been long enough, but I'll close with a pic of the rear plastics. Thanks 3WW, what a great resource website is!

kb0nly
10-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Good job!! Funny i never heard a 125 or one of the horizontal motors running without an exhaust! You will have some carb tuning to do after you get the exhaust on it, so don't get freaked if you put the exhaust on she don't run right, the back pressure from the exhaust will cause the way its tuned now to be incorrect, but it will just be the mixture screw to mess with and reading the plug to see if your too rich or too lean.

I did notice in the very first picture of your post what looks like a crack in the frame by the seat release lever. If thats not a scratch and a true crack then at least get it ground down to bare metal and clean and have someone put a nice weld on it. I have welded a few of these frames, they always crack there, and you can do a good job of welding them back together, but just know that you can always have another crack develop there over time!

Now you gained some confidence i'm sure you can tackle the rest, and maybe rebuild the other motors with weaker compression over time as well! These motors are not rocket science and really quite easy to work on considering the parts count on them compared to say a modern fuel injected whiz bang car.

Looking at the pictures of the carb, now you know what happens when you don't shut off the petcock and a full tank of gas slowly evaporates over time in the carb bowl... YUCK!

auto5man
10-03-2013, 09:39 AM
KB you don't miss much...yup, a big crack in the frame for sure, and I forgot to mention that but it is on the to do list. One of my good friends has welding skills and we'll be taking care of that crack soon.

Big G
10-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Man, that's awesome Automan...good on you for rolling up your sleeves and diving in! You deserve a pat on the back for saving another trike!

kb0nly
10-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Tell him to weld that crack good! I have welded up a few of them, its not that big of a deal unless your going to turn around and pound the crap out of it again, jumping, etc.

I have seen a few guys reinforce it from the inside, welding a plate across, but from what i can see of yours i would just weld the crack good and clean it up and shoot some paint on it, make it blend... LOL

auto5man
10-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Kb I will do that, and I won't be pounding the crap out of it for sure, lol. So hopefully the weld will hold.

A little update.....just when I thought I was ready to assemble to the point of riding shape yet another challenge has come my way. I've about decided that nothing is going to be easy on this trike, lol...

So I was installing the new rear sprocket and had gathered my other missing parts....I was sort of torn because the used replacement chain guard I got has been painted and looked SO NICE. Anyway I was torn between just getting everything back together (wife is after me to finish up all my "mess" in the carport), or taking a little longer and painting the brake housing and other rear end parts. Decided to just get things back together and rolling. After putting the sprocket on I got the chain out and noticed that the front and rear sprockets didn't line up AT ALL....and I mean like two inches off! As I started assessing the problem it seems obvious what the previous owner had done to mess things up so badly. The chain adjuster was bent and deformed, so I think he was trying to tighten up the chain without properly loosening the other bolts. He just kept cranking and cranking until things were bent and way out of alignment. So today I started to take out the four bolts that hold the axle on....whew, had problems with every one of them! Got three out with pb blaster and other tricks, but the 4th bolt actually reached a point where it was spinning. At that point I knew it was the long road and not going to be a quick re assembly. Here is the last stubborn bolt (top right of the four that hold the axle in place):

After taking the brake housing and brake drum off and shoes, the problem was obvious. Previous owner had welded in a new nut with sloppy welds and it had come loose and was just spinning:

Now that I have the entire rear end apart, I'll be hunting down new seals (hopefully bearings are okay) and fixing things back correct and original. It will take longer, but I feel good about it. Everything nside the brake housing was a complete MESS of rust and dried mud, etc. I can paint parts as I go, and things will look nice again all put back together.

Big G
10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
You've gone this far, might as well replace the rear bearings while you're at it...especially if you're gonna replace the seals anyways. If it looks that bad in the brake drum, the bearings likely aren't in top knotch shape!

kb0nly
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I agree... Better to do it now while you have done all the hard work to tear it all down and replace the bearings, then no future worries for a long time.

auto5man
10-11-2013, 08:28 PM
okay, you convinced me...new bearings too.

joesouth
10-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Looks like another one saved! That's what it's all about.

auto5man
10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Progress Report:

Bearings and seals are ordered should be here soon. Got the bearings out today and used the dremel to grind smooth and get to clean metal: prepwork for welding the new nut in.

Also got the skid plate, battery box, and brake hub cover sanded and painted:

I also forgot to mention that the new cables arrived. Love these motion pro cables. Installed the new one for choke, and also took apart the rear hand brake lever assembly, polished it and re-assembled. Then installed the new motion pro rear brake cable. The foot brake pedal assembly was not working very well, so I ended up taking that all apart (was corroded and a real %it%# to get loose!) down to its individual parts. Cleaned (wire brushed and sanded the rust off) them all up and then back together with proper lubrication. Also chased the threads on the rear brake adjuster nut and bolt. Now the whole assembly works great. I also cleaned up the rear parts of the frame and painted here and there, looks alot better.

kb0nly
10-13-2013, 11:04 PM
It was well worth going that extra mile on the bearings and seals, and painting everything, its gonna look nice when its done!!

bludshifta
10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Good job. You've taken something that really looked like scrap and given it value.

auto5man
10-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks shifta. Long day today, but I'm pumped. Drove to Conway AR (about 3 hours) and got another '85 125m as a parts bike for 75.00. Wish I had made the trip last week it would have saved me 100.00 in used parts that I bought (battery box, chain case housing, and fuse cover), because this trike is fairly complete and had all those parts. It also has plastic with no cracks AND the hard to find trunk lid in perfect condition! I'll post pix probably tomorrow. I also had some welding done on the rear bearing carrier where the nut had come loose, I'll post pix of that tomorrow too if I have time...gonna be another busy day again.

auto5man
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Quick post of the hub nut welding...not gonna come loose this time, lol.

Bearings and seals did not arrive in the mail today :(

Still didn't get a chance to take pics of the parts bike, but here is what the CL ad pic looked like:

not sure why my pics keep turning sideways when I "insert" them in the post....annoying.

Big G
10-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Nothing like doing trike repairs on the kitchen counter! Ha ha

Nice score on that parts machine.

kb0nly
10-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Good job on getting that new nut welded in, that will work nice. And great score on the other machine, $75 is a heck of a deal on that!

auto5man
10-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Ahh BG, so you like the kitchen shot? My wife will be very happy when I'm done with this project lol.

So a progress report. Finally got parts I was waiting on and put the rear end mostly back together….looking good:

The brake works awesome now….and the painted parts sure makes things look better. Still have to take the wheels off again to install the chain case, fit the chain, etc. I put most of the rear end, axle, bearings etc back together for ease of rolling around (gotta transport to the welder)

Big G
10-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Rear end looks fresh. Keep us posted as things progress!

ps2fixer
11-01-2013, 09:14 AM
So.... what is wrong with your *new* parts machine? Lets make it a runner too lol! I have a complete parts machine I was going to fix but lost interest when I found the part of the engine case is broken where the shift drum is turned from.

brian376
11-01-2013, 03:49 PM
It's looking great!