PDA

View Full Version : 110 no drive. Where to start?

TwoBobRob
10-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone.

I've had a good trawl around using the search facility but I'm only succeeding in confusing myself....

I've just bought a 110 with no drive. Engine starts and runs sweet. Really sweet actually. It seems to click into gear but there is no hint of forward motion. It doesn't seem to click OUT of gear though.... The Hi Lo lever is jammed solid in Hi. The chain and sprockets are present & correct lol.

I will try adjusting the clutch. I will try the mythical oil change I've read so much about. I also read about giving the neutral indicator shaft a nudge with vice grips.

I'll do all these things shortly but my question is what should I do first, and/or what am I overlooking?

I'm guessing these things have a couple of common faults?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

CodyRosa
10-04-2013, 09:04 AM
well i don't know to much about this nor have I heard this happening.. but my first guess would be the clutch is bad. Does your oil have flakes in it at all?

effort=results
10-04-2013, 09:29 AM
If your sub trans won't go in to low gear I would start there .

TwoBobRob
10-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Not looked yet, I'll be dropping the oil in the next few days. I'll get it super hot and drain every last drop out. see what it looks like.

TwoBobRob
10-04-2013, 09:41 AM
If your sub trans won't go in to low gear I would start there .

Alrighty then. I assume this could get stuck between cogs giving no drive?

CodyRosa
10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Oh i didn't even see that it wont go into low. Well i'm completely useless on this then haha. Your clutch may be fine then.

effort=results
10-05-2013, 02:12 PM
absolutely . check that . the sub trans is real easy.

tri again
10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi low lever can get real stuck and yes, not uncommon for them to get stuck between gears.
and have a false neutral.

Can you shift it by rocking back and forth with the engine NOT running?

TwoBobRob
10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've had a look again today with a clearer mind and I believe I've sussed it;

There are two faults I believe. firstly, a confession...... This box is all down. I thought it was all up (oops). So I'm pulling away on the shifter and nothing is happening of course. However, the previous owner had had the shifter off at some point and when they put it back on they fitted it a spline or two too low. Consequently the shifter was hitting the footpeg before it found a gear. So I repositioned that, rocked the bike back and forth and hey presto - nothing!

Soooo.... carried on rocking the bike and coaxed the Hi-Lo lever back and forth a few times until there was a healthy clunk from the tranny. Tried the shifter again and there's my gears. Happy days.

So let's have a ride then.

Nope. The clutch is goosed. Loosened the locknut and wound the screw out to little effect. So, stuck it into Lo and tried again. This time I got some forward motion in all four gears. Tried again in Hi with me stood alongside the bike instead of riding it and achieved a tiny amount of forward motion again which only goes to confirm my suspicions about the clutch.

Still, I'm relieved the gearboxes are all good. Is replacing a clutch straightforward?

kb0nly
10-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Thats good to hear! Everything moving at least is a darn good sign that there isn't major issues. Replacing the clutch on them isnt too bad, you need a couple gaskets, right cover and the clutch cover, and then you need the special clutch nut socket, although you can get it off carefully by other means but having the right socket makes it a snap and they are $10 or less to get one.

I would pull the right cover though and go through everything. When it does move in low and say first gear does it hold or does it keep jumping out of gear? The most common problem on these is the broken shift drum stopper arm, but that generally results in you having false neutrals between gears and it will keep falling out of gear, etc.

The clutch isn't too hard to do on them, but check all the adjustments after you get it apart, and make sure your adjusting it correctly, if you need the manual its available on my website. www.atcmanuals.info

TwoBobRob
10-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Cheers.

It appears to stay in gear. I've read a lot about the stopper arm, indeed I think I have that problem on a 84 125M actually. This 110 seems to be behaving itself although to be honest, the clutch is slipping so massively there's no load on anything currently. Things might be different when it's being asked to do some proper work.

I've already downloaded a couple of manuals from your site - thank you for putting the work in helping people out with them. I will indeed download the 110 manual too.

kb0nly
10-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Well if she stays in gear it must be the clutch then. I would take it apart and give it a good cleaning and inspection before you start going after parts though. It could be something out of place or wrong inside yet.

Your welcome! Happy to help out with the bandwidth for the manuals.