PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Kawasaki KMT200

lablitzwing
10-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Hey all,

I just joined up and bought my first Trike last week. It was a well used Kawasaki KLT200. I'm not 100% on the year but the engine seems to have the backup kickstart on it.

I'm just looking for some info on all the controls. The one I have has been pained or the labels worn off.

I'm also having a bit of an issue with keeping it running. I'm not sure if I'm not opening the fuel correctly or if I need to replace the spark plug or clean the carb but it will start up, run for a while then start to lose power then die. I'll have to fiddle with the choke and the little screw beside it (throttle?) to get it to start up again but then it will do the same. pretty much unless I keep the throttle opened up it will die on me. Even when I keep the throttle opened up a bit it will randomly rev up then down again.

Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks!

lablitzwing
10-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I can keep it running and rolling at first gear. But if I upshoft and try to open up the throttle a little it dies on me. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

kb0nly
10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Probably going to have to tear apart the carb and go through it, clean it good!

Also flush the tank out, make sure the whole fuel system is clean. A new plug wouldnt hurt either.

New2Tri-Z
10-07-2013, 06:23 PM
^^^^ Exactly what he said. Clean that carb and clean it good. Definitely pop in a new plug. You may consider a carb rebuild kit all together depending how long it has been sitting.

lablitzwing
10-07-2013, 09:20 PM
It's only been sitting about 10 months. The guy I bought it from bought a Quad and used that more so he didn't use it since last fall.

I took the carb off and it is a little dirty but not overly. I removed the spark plug and it was covered in black gunk. I'm going to also look into replacing all the fuel lines too.

I'm hoping it works after this. But can anyone recommend any alternatives to dedicated carb cleaner? I live in a very small town and the small engine repair place and NAPA don't have any on hand.

Thanks

New2Tri-Z
10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Any carb cleaner will work just fine. I use the AutoZone brand stuff, but Gumout any of them are good products. Just make sure you clean every passage, hole, jet and surface you can find. You may need to clean the jets out with a tool. I use a guitar string but you can use toothpick or anything that will fit, just be careful to not break it off in there. Just clean the hell out of it, put a new plug in and fire it up.

lablitzwing
10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey,

Well I wanted to give an update. I removed the carburetor and cleaned it out. I also replaced all the fuel lines. I'm still waiting on the new spark plug, only place I could find it was online. The trike still won't idle but I think If I adjust the throttle a little and tighten it up I can fix that.

The big thing is now it doesn't die on me if I upshift to second and open the throttle up. Even had it to third and no issues.
A bit more testing then I might be able to go for a trip soon.

Cheers,

King Trikester
10-09-2013, 10:21 PM
There should be an air mixture screw on the side of the carb(some people refer to it as an idle screw), I've never seen a klt carb but on Hondas it's on the right side of carb close to the top, flat head screw, there is also a pilot screw on the bottom (spring behind it) that needs to be adjusted properlly, best Bet would be to look on google for a Manual or try to look klt carb adjustment on YouTube. I learned about the pilot screw the hard way when I cleaned my carb and took it out without realizing what it was and that it had to be set properly, it's not rocket science if I figured it out anyone can

King Trikester
10-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Of course I could not have done it without the help of other members on here, here's my thread this might help. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/161882-1984-200es-carb-help this may or may not help but maybe some one with More experience will jump in

lablitzwing
10-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I think I may have found the main problem. I did a search and found a thread that had a service manual for a year later model. I think I put the wrong kind of gas in. I put in regular 87, but the manual says 91+. I'll pump the tank and replace the fuel and see if that makes a difference lol.

I wish I found that manual in the first place.

King Trikester
10-13-2013, 08:01 PM
how did that work out for you?