PDA

View Full Version : Steering stem bearings

Horbie
10-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Ok I'm sure this has been discussed a million times but I'll try my shot at it. I have a 350x and I replaced the the steering bearings, really had no problem at all but when tightening everything up it seems the lower part of the stem binds on the triple tree way more than it should and makes a rubbing noise. I thought I had everything under control from reading through some previous conversations on here but I guess not. I simply pressed the lower bearing directly on the tree, then the race into the stem, then the upper stem race, then the bearing and tightened it up(in that order). Now it is very tough to turn even when the steering adjustment nut is tight or loosened back up. Now going back and rereading did I Misunderstand, was I suppose to go washer, seal, race, bearing on the lower? I thought height and other reasons you didn't need the seal and the washer went on the top under the adjustment nut? Sorry for the ramble I just wanted everything out there on my first post. Thanks

Flyingw
10-05-2013, 11:43 PM
The flat washer with the rubber seal around the edge goes under the lower bearing. Its job is to seal the lower bearing when everything is reassembled. The problem is removing the tapered bearing from the stem once its set on to the stem. Once trick is to tighten the crap out of the adj nut. Tighten it up real tight then back it off. Your races might be setting a little caddywampus in the frame. Tighten everything up tight then readjust and see if that helps. I typically run my adjustment nut a little tight.

jb2wheels
10-05-2013, 11:47 PM
I used the washer and seal on the bottom under the bearing - probably because the bottom race set in so deep - this keeps the triple from binding.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142148-JB-s-350X-Refresh?p=1112097#post1112097

I included the info in my write-up so I'd remember for the next one.

Horbie
10-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I tightened it up what I would consider real tight then backed it off still nothing. I debated pretty hard about using the washer and the seal on the lower because of how far the race sat in the neck, but then I didn't �� now I don't know what to do since the neck is binding on the triple? Should I take it all apart again I don't know if the lower bearing will be savable. If I leave it will it "break" in or will I damage stuff?

Horbie
10-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Still kinda looking for a little direction on this one from the guys with experience on these bearings.

jb2wheels
10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
If your lower tripple is indeed binding on the steering head, you have to take it apart, then put it together correctly with the spacers in the right place. That's what the spacers are for.

It won't "break in" as is. It will be unsafe to ride - hard to steer. Eventually it will damage some parts.

Mr. Clean
10-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Still kinda looking for a little direction on this one from the guys with experience on these bearings.

As jb2wheels states your only option is to tear it apart and remove the lower bearing. I just did this on a 200x, I went the other way and added the washer and I could not get enough threads.

If you have the right tools you might not damage the bearing, however might be a good idea to get another set on the way or the wait to button up the front end will be that much longer.