PDA

View Full Version : Just Got back From Moose Hunting! Insane!

coolpool
10-06-2013, 12:15 AM
This was an eventful trip to say the least. My son Sam shot a nice bull on the afternoon of the second day on the river. I even managed to get a picture as it was going down. After winching it out of the water, gutting, skinning and loading it in to the canoe we decided to try to make it down river at last light; a stupid decision on my part as we almost capsized in one of the rapids. We went back upstream to the kill site and hunkered down for the night with no food or shelter. Luckily there was tons of wood for a big fire. We weren’t prepared to spend the night and ended up boiling river water for tea and eating fresh moose tenderloin wrapped on a stick, yummy! We got hit with -5 C temps and a heavy frost came in as can be seen on Sam's back pack and canoe. At 1:00 in the morning I was chilling out watching the fire, Sam was sleeping, and I heard the unmistakeable grunts from a Bull Moose right behind me; it was a big one spoiling for a fight. I woke up Sam and looked over the logs we were resting against and there it was 50’ away. I’ve never seen aggression like it with a big fire going and all the commotion from us. It didn’t know what to make of us, the rut makes them stupid; if it had started swaying its antlers it was a goner. Damn thing crossed the river and watched us for half an hour. Needless to say there wasn’t much sleep after that. When dawn finally rolled around at 8 we headed upstream to the closet take out point 1 km away upstream; on the river 1 km = 3 km with all the twists and turns. I had to pull the canoe through the rapids which was a pain with all the weight in the canoe. Once back at camp in the afternoon we hung the meat and finally hunkered down for supper and some rest. Lo and behold a bear shows up across the river and swims across to our camp. I scared it away and it crossed back to the other shore 75’ away, Problem was it didn’t want to leave smelling all that meat. It started walking stiff legged, arching its back and popping its jaws. I’ll I’m going to say is it was breathing when I last saw it. You fill in the blanks. We had some great father son times on this trip but I’m wiped out. I’m not complaining though because some of you might remember we were dealing with a horrific motorcycle crash Sam was in this time last year. Enjoy the pics!

Ghostv2
10-06-2013, 01:39 AM
I have ended up in some bad situations while hunting but that takes the cake. Definitely a story that will be told for a while. Then again you live in Canada, I live in PA. Not in much danger around here from the wildlife and rarely in the negative temps. Glad the hunt was a success.

atc007
10-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Now THAT is a hunting story :) Glad you both got out with just a story. I bet your packs are slightly better prepared the next time ! Simply amazing how life can go from SO fun to life threatening/altering in the blink of an eye. We had a picture perfect Autumn weekend here,but one of our neighbors got crushed cutting a tree down. He went out by helicopter and isn't expected to do well.

Buck Snort
10-06-2013, 08:33 AM
AWESOME! You guys really worked for that moose. Great memories. I will be moose hunting on the 15th and then hopefully out to Alberta in November to chase WHitetails. Can't wait!

coolpool
10-06-2013, 10:25 PM
AWESOME! You guys really worked for that moose. Great memories. I will be moose hunting on the 15th and then hopefully out to Alberta in November to chase WHitetails. Can't wait!

Good luck on the hunts Buck Snort. If you think you can make it out this way that would be great. Some nice whitey's up here; my co-worker is on the Cover of "Big Buck" magazine with a 200 incher he took last year.

jeswinehart
10-06-2013, 10:57 PM
That is so very interesting ! Thanks coolpool for taking the time too show ~ so cool !

john

Buck Snort
10-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks! Between hunting and visiting with family I will probably be short on time. But you never know maybe we will get some free time to tour.
Good luck on the hunts Buck Snort. If you think you can make it out this way that would be great. Some nice whitey's up here; my co-worker is on the Cover of "Big Buck" magazine with a 200 incher he took last year.