PDA

View Full Version : need an atv mechanic in north dallas

bbplayr21
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Hello everybody, brand new here, just bought a beat up YTM 225 DX, it is in bad shape, needs alot of love, but first things first, I believe the valves or piston and ring need some attention. Anybody know a trusted atv mechanic in the north dallas area. I can do quite a bit of the work myself to restore it, but i haven't worked on engines and would love some advise.

bbplayr21
10-08-2013, 12:30 PM
anybody in dallas area that can help me?

briano
10-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Not yet.........

dougspcs
10-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I caution that sending this machine to a mechanic could easily blow up into big dollars..

I myself have 'blown the budget' on trike repairs and rebuilds to much higher than their value doing the work myself..add too that shop labour dollars and money will be flying out of your wallet!

You would be far better off to hold your money and keep an eye on your local market for a unit in good condition..you will spend less buying a machine is good condition than a fixer and rebuilding it!!

It's a mathematical fact that most anyone in here will backing me up on!

Unless this old girl holds some sentimental value you may want to rethink your plan..

bbplayr21
10-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I feel comfortable, doing most of the work myself, rebuilding shocks, rebuilding brakes, sanding repaint frame, rebuild carb, replacing cables, repairing plastics, clean repacking bearings, air filter. Seems like I have found most of the parts online. I only spent 200 on it. Its been sitting for about 6 years. She seems to shift through the gears fine, but she smokes, not real sure as to what it is valve seats? piston and ring? I really need someone to look at the engine and decide if it is something I can save. I guess what I am trying to say is I feel comfortable doing almost all the work except the engine? Just looking for someone to advise me. Perhaps you are right, maybe i should walk away.

yaegerb
10-08-2013, 01:20 PM
get a good manual. Rings, Valve seals and new piston with bore or hone isn't that hard of a job.

dougspcs
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Well if top-end is all it needs you may consider tackling it yourself..

The manual for the machine is online here: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

And as luck has it you have one of the easier machines to work on since the top-end can be rebuild with the engine in the trike..the manual gives great detail on the teardown and rebuild instructions.

If you are the mechanically inclined sort I say give it a go!!

Tear it down, take a look, post pics and ask questions as you go..before you know it your running and have another feather in your cap!

I tackled a Yamaha for the 1st time last year and found it one of the more fun rebuilds, apart and back together in about 3-4 hours. Parts waiting time not withstanding.

bbplayr21
10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
OK, I am in deep now, I decided I am going all in. Anybody want to talk me out of it, top end engine rebuild, complete tear down, sand and paint, take my beat little yellow ytm 225 dx to a gold and black, near rear end, all new cables and bearings, tires, rebuild brakes, new front cooler rack. new decals, new seat cover, have to figure out what to do with the seized up front fronks, try to rebuild or just buy a new set. I understand I can buy a better three wheeler in working condition everybody says, but say what you want, I have tried unsuccesfull to buy a three wheeler four times now. And I now I have one sitting in my garage. I cant help but want to rebuild it new by my own hands. Unless somebody wants to sell me a honda atc 200 or 250 that lives in texas?

NO-SCALES
10-11-2013, 04:38 PM
This the guy with the 110 i talked to? In frisco?

Post up some pics of that dx.

bbplayr21
10-11-2013, 05:05 PM
dont have any pics yet, she is in bad condition, but only spent 200 bucks, so now worries, I know it will take a pretty penny to take it back to original, but it sounds like fun, well more like satisfying when it is all done. 110 wont really do it for me, if i don't rebuild my ytm 225 dx, I would be looking for a honda 200 or 225. But i do like the back shock on this ytm 225. most of these utility three wheelers are a hardtail.

dougspcs
10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
OK, I am in deep now, I decided I am going all in. Anybody want to talk me out of it, top end engine rebuild, complete tear down, sand and paint, take my beat little yellow ytm 225 dx to a gold and black, near rear end, all new cables and bearings, tires, rebuild brakes, new front cooler rack. new decals, new seat cover, have to figure out what to do with the seized up front fronks, try to rebuild or just buy a new set. I understand I can buy a better three wheeler in working condition everybody says, but say what you want, I have tried unsuccesfull to buy a three wheeler four times now. And I now I have one sitting in my garage. I cant help but want to rebuild it new by my own hands. Unless somebody wants to sell me a honda atc 200 or 250 that lives in texas?

Well, I didn't tell you'd spend more on this project than it would cost you to buy another machine in great shape..

But if you're feeling the love for this little trike..have at it!!

I fallen hard for a couple myself and gone in for a pound!!

hondamanshawn
10-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes I was told the same thing about my trike...but I wanted something I built with my bare hands and plus I look at it like this yea I blew more time and money then just finding one that runs but in the end I have a fresh motor and a nice trike that I know was built right...plus I have the pride to look at that and know I built it...I have over $800 in my trike and tons of labor but in the end I have a fresh restored trike. So it's a matter of personal choice..if you just want something to hope on and ride around just find a running one for cheap and ride it until the wheels fall off...if you want something to take pride in and/or has sentimental value and want to know you built it yourself then restore it. If your taking a liking to it I say go for it

bbplayr21
10-15-2013, 12:42 PM
well to be honest, i took dougspcs advice, I found another ytm in much better condition for almost the same price, It is an 84 YTM 200e yamahauler, one owner, the guy that sold it to me used it 30 years at his deer lease up until last year, he had the original tools, toolkit, and owners manual from 84! It is in immaculate shape, it is a driver, oil change, oil filter, gear oil, fresh gas, new choke cable, new recoil starter, thats it. Fenders are faded but not cracked, seat is original and in great condition, has both front and rear racks. Really got lucky on this one. I called the guy an hour after he posted. It was meant to be.

dougspcs
10-15-2013, 12:47 PM
well to be honest, i took dougspcs advice, I found another ytm in much better condition for almost the same price, It is an 84 YTM 200e yamahauler, one owner, the guy that sold it to me used it 30 years at his deer lease up until last year, he had the original tools, toolkit, and owners manual from 84! It is in immaculate shape, it is a driver, oil change, oil filter, gear oil, fresh gas, new choke cable, new recoil starter, thats it. Fenders are faded but not cracked, seat is original and in great condition, has both front and rear racks. Really got lucky on this one. I called the guy an hour after he posted. It was meant to be.

Nice..!!! I love those one owner, used but not abused machines!!

Still waiting on PICS!!!!

bbplayr21
10-15-2013, 01:59 PM

dougspcs
10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Good form!! Problem solved..

If you want to clean that plastic up there are a ton of threads on the subject..I had a blue Yamaha 200e last year I hit it with a 3M scotch pad mounted on a drill and used water to prevent the friction burning the plastic.

Then you could gloss it up with a lot of arm busting wet-sanding.

I just left mine..it was nice and clean, but not shiny!!

hondamanshawn
10-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Wow very nice find!...I'm glad it all worked out I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of it. Not everyday you come across a one owner like this.