PDA

View Full Version : 85 atc 250r output shaft

Schmoore Racing
10-09-2013, 11:33 AM
ok guys I have a question. on my 85 r the output shaft has been rounded off due to prior damage when the sprocket bolt snapped which resulted in the sprocket to slide off the shaft which rounded the end just a little. I was able to use a dremel and clean up the burrs on the end of the shaft. the rest of the splines were fine. about a week ago I was riding it and a few times it felt as if the clutch was slipping. last night we were doing test and tunes for drag racing Saturday and now it wont move at all. we tore it apart and realized that the entire output shaft has been completely rounded and now spins inside the sprocket.

So I guess the question is first. Is there any way I could make it work for this weekend at all. I have a few ideas but it is a shot in the dark. and secondly in order to replace the shaft will the case need to be split or is it accessible with the clutch cover off.

atc300r
10-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Yes you will need to split the cases to change the shaft.

RIDE-RED 250r
10-09-2013, 07:10 PM
No quick fixes that would for sure adequately hold other than welding the sprocket on. I'm not a fan of that though unless you are in a major bind. You would have to cut off the sprocket then to split the cases and replace the countershaft. A little more PIA than I would want to deal with for one more weekend of riding.

Schmoore Racing
10-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to be racing with four wheels this weekend. The thought of welding crossed my mind but I don't know how it would effect the properties of the metal being hardened or not. Looks like it is a prime opportunity to build it.