PDA

View Full Version : stator coil question

hondamanshawn
10-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi, this forum helped me alot with my build on 81 atc 200. Usually I just search the threads and I can find something to help me anyway, I got everything back together and went to fire it up with no success so I started sniffing around and seen I have no spark when the plug is grounded to the motor. I put a new exciter coil on the stator, new plug, the cdi is clean and installed right and the air gap is correct, the harness is checked and is is fine. So I check the manual and start to check everything. The ignition coil tests fine (.8 ohms-primary 8K ohms-secondary) cdi pulse generator tests fine (30 ohms) the lighting coil has continuity but when I check the exciter coil I only get 3 ohms and the spec is 245 ohms and it puzzles me because it's a new coil. I searched on here and seen someone with a similar problem and it was a bad wire so I take the stator back off the bike and check it out and I notice the souder is touching to base of the stator so I figure it was grounding out but I cleaned it up checked it again and I get no ohms through the coil now. So I'm thinking I got a faulty coil? I didn't test it when I put it on because it was new. Is it possible I fried it out? Just wondering if anyone else had this problem any help would be appreciated.

hondamanshawn
09-14-2014, 12:50 AM
I just wanted to update in case anyone would search and find this thread that is having the same problem it was the wire was broke when it came off the spool and was soldered to ground out... It was hard to see but if you looked close the wire was bent and part way snapped off before it started to wind around so either I got a faulty one or some how broke it when I installed it but I bought another new and put it on and it worked great.