PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250R Duner setup

Bernard3rd
10-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi guys,

I have a 1985 ATC 250R and I am interested in setting it up for the Dunes. Currently the Chassis is stock but has a Works Rear shock, I want to add a +4 or +6 extended swingarm and will widen the rear with a new Axle. Basically, I want more stability, but I also really love carving a nice long corner on the face of a dune and steering with the throttle. In its stock configuration it is great for doing this. I assume that if you widened the rear as much as you lengthened the swingarm, it would help keep the cornering nice, but what are your experiences? Also, I'm not sure whether to go +4 or +6 swingarm, but I may get the CT racing 350cc Powervalve setup in the future, so I'm thinking that longer may be better. Also, does anyone know what travel would be increased to with an extended swingarm? I'd think that a shock revalve and perhaps a stiffer spring would be needed with an extended swingarm. Is this correct?

Finally, I see that some guys are running different/inverted forks on their trikes. What is the performance difference as compared to stock?

If it matters, I am 6 feet tall and weight 210 lbs

Thanks so much!

jb2wheels
10-12-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm 6-4 280ish and I ride my stock 85 in the dunes. It's fantastic! I run about 50/50 with stock knobbies or paddles. Mostly because it's easier to pack in the van with knobbies so when I pull it out it gets ridden on knobbies. Lots of fun!! My favorite duner!

Since it's so stock, I have no ideas how longer arms, wider axles or inverts impact handling.

Poco Loco
10-13-2013, 12:10 AM
So you want a duner that corners. Dont extend that swinger and run knobbies....I know you didnt want to hear that. Ok here we go. Now its time for all the slow guys to jump in with all the paddle and swing arm comments...bring it.