PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 1985 Tri-z

UndeadMetalhead
10-12-2013, 09:27 PM
So I just picked up a 1985 Tri-z today and it's a little rough but not in too bad of shape. Plastics are in excellent condition and it starts really easy but onto the problems... First off the pilot jet is gone from the carb.. having a hard time finding one. Not sure if one would come with a jet kit (also having a hard time finding) but if so I'd rather just buy a jet kit. Not too sure what I'd like to do power wise, my options seem pretty limited compared to what I'm used to. Second, I have to change the exhaust, the header pipe is a welded up mess. I've been reading lots of bad things about the DG exhausts. Putting a stock exhaust on it seems like a waste. So any ideas on exhaust options would be a big help. Third, Suspension.. The rear shock is adjusted all the way and the whole suspension is very soft. I'm guessing the front I can fill with air?.. but so far rear shocks look expensive online. Lastly and the 2 most important things I buy for bikes are the case saver and rear swing arm skid plate. I found a factory skid plate on ebay for like $50 if I remember right they held up well but any other options would help. Wondering what I got myself into lol. When I was a kid the first bike I learned how to use a clutch on was a 1986 Tri-Z so I'm try to rebuild this one.. it's not an '86 but it'll do :)

P.S. Tons of random bolts are missing.. Gonna give the bike a very thorough exam in the morning lol

CodyRosa
10-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Pics always help =) With the carb rebuild kit I bought it gave me both jets brand new. The jets are stock though and if your going to put a pipe on you should jet it anyways. What kind of carb is it? Mikuni, keihin? Then just search for jets that way. Your shocks could all use a rebuild if there very soft. If your fronts are not bent i'd rebuild them. I blew the seals on mine, then somehow filled air in them and blew them again haha (mine are both bent). On my 200x I just deal with the bad shock.. its actually pretty comfortable EXCEPT when I hit big jumps it bottoms out=/

I can't help you with a pipe as i've never had a tri z.

Enjoy the trike and welcome to 3WW!

New2Tri-Z
10-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Its a 34mm mikuni carb if its stock and the main jet is #570 and the pilot jet is #45. There are tons of options power wise, V-force reeds/cage, Bigger carb, Sprock Cool Head, Big Bore kitsyou get the drift.

Exhaust is a little tougher as there was just not alot of aftermarket stuff for the Z. Dyno Port has made a few recently and I think they are looking into making more. They are awesome pipes and sound mean. Also you could have Jemco make you a pipe. That's what i run and he can custom build it for your riding type. Other than that you will have to find a used one out there on ebay or here on the boards.

Front forks, just rebuild them and put new fork seals and dust seals, add oil and air and you will be good to go. rear shock is a little tougher but there are a few options. You can rebuild your Z shock and sblt500r here on the boards is very reasonable and awesome guy. he did mine and it is top notch. Otherwise there is a thread ion here regarding the 'frakenshock" that zmpolaristech came up withhttp://www.3wheelerworld.com/content.php/317-Tri-Z-Frankenshock...-Cheap-and-affective-shock-build#comments.

sblt500r makes some sweet bling for the Z also such as case savers, shifters, T-stat eliminators, etc...

As for rear skid plates the OEM work but are usually beat to he** from the trails. OMF still makes them to order and they are heavy duty http://www.omfperformance.com/skid_plates_sq.php and engine bash plates can be obtained through them also or from Ricochet Off-road http://www.ricochetoffroad.com/store/page193.html for a little cheaper. The YZ 490 bash bash plate fits up great, I have seen a few and the anodize finish looks trick.

As for bolts there is a polished stainless bolt kit on evilbay they offer, its around $130 but worth every penny. Replaces 90% of the fasteners on the bike with trick ones. You still gotta run some of your OEM bolts, but just suspension and pegs is all I remember running OEM.

There are tons of options out there for the Z just depends what you want and how much you want to spend. And a few memebrs on here run reproduction parts for it. I am about $2000 deep and haven't even built the motor yet. Its a slow go but awesome when it starts coming together.

UndeadMetalhead
10-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your help fellas. It's gonna be fun fixing this bike up still don't know if I'm going to dump a bunch of money in it or not. Probably will I'm still looking up parts and viewing my options.