PDA

View Full Version : Another 70 recoil question....

TwoBobRob
10-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi chaps.

So I've bought a less than perfect recoil from Ebay. It has worked with less than perfect results so I've taken a peek inside. The dogs look newish, the rope pulley is decent. the cover has a couple of issues, as has the grabber on the flywheel, namely they both have elongated slots through wear & tear. That's problem no.1. Problem no.2 is I have a component completely missing - item 12 on the diagram;

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/RobSteelephotos/honda-atc70-1979-usa-recoil-starter_bighu0141f7307_3b18_zps1557d6f5.gif

So, am I ok to go ahead and add some weld to the slots and dremel them about to sort them out, and what does that spring (item 12) actually do please?

Actually, there's one more thing....

The dogs have managed to escape. I found them lying in the side casing under the flywheel. I've put that down to the long slots and they've be forced to pop out of their homes, is that a fair assumption?

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Rob.

hondamanshawn
10-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I think item 12 is your dog spring that holds your dogs in...that's why they fall out.

hondamanshawn
10-13-2013, 08:03 PM
I believe the proper name is the "setting spring" im sure they have them on eBay.

wonderboy
10-14-2013, 07:45 AM
The #12 spring engages into the cover #4, and helps retract the dogs when you quit pulling on the rope. When you get that spring and reassemble the recoil, you'll want to make sure you preload the cover / spring in the correct direction so that the cover wants to rotate in the direction that retracts the dogs.

TwoBobRob
10-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks fellas, much appreciated.

auto5man
10-15-2013, 12:12 AM
The setting spring is 5.59 at Dratv.com look under the atc70 choose "engine parts" category

TwoBobRob
10-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Cool, thanks for that.

I have two 70s and both have been messed with by previous owners. Very frustrating sorting the little things out. The rope on this one is damn short too, which suggests to me they didn't wind everything up enough and then just cut the rope short to suit. Grrr......

hondamanshawn
10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Yes I feel your pain I had to sort some of that kind of stuff on my 200...I got it off the original owner but it was a farmer that had it since new and just rigged stuff together to get by...but hey sometimes they just need some tlc and they will treat you well.

auto5man
10-15-2013, 08:41 PM
I feel your pain too lol. Check out this 125m, it's the trike that started the obsession for me, my first purchase before I knew ANYTHING about these old ATC's. Bought it from a retired farmer/tinkerer out in the country kinda on a whim. Well he made some pretty impressive shade tree mechanic mods like welding his own rims to accommodate the Kubota tractor tires and welding a rack on.....but apparently w/out ANY thought for future maintenance. The seat/plastic is not removable because he welded the rack to the frame (yeah, a rack is cool on a 125, but how do you change the air filter or remove/service the battery, among other things). The exhaust is also welded to the frame, lol. Also check out the spike coming out of the dash...it was kind of a makeshift bolt he made to hold the dash on I guess(sure would hate to have your upper body come down on that, what was he thinking?).

hondamanshawn
10-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Haha yea that rack does look cool but he obviously didn't think ahead...especially with that rod coming out the dash...yea my trike was kind of the same thing just not as bad...he rigged stuff just to keep it running and then when it died he parked it and got something else because he realized the work involved because of shortcuts he took...my shifter was wielded on, he snapped the bolt that mounts the gas tank so he wielded a washer on top, he cut off plugs on the harness and just soldered the wires together, it had different nuts and bolts on it and missing stuff like the pull starter, airbox, neutral indicator, all kinds of nuts and bolts, cables were shot, taillight and toolbox was broke, the rings were wielded to the piston, stator coil was shot, magneto was rusted bad..its was a hot mess by the time I got to it...luckily you got to that 125 when it was still running haha. Any luck on the 70 yet? Did you find a setting spring?

TwoBobRob
10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Haha........ Not just me then!

I also bought a 125m. I had a 185s as a kid and always wanted to get back into them. I saw this 125m on Ebay and just jumped in with both feet. Too much money, too many things wrong, too many things missing. It will be a labour of love for sure when I get round to it. I need a pipe for the thing but there's not many about in the UK - I've not seen one for sale anywhere yet over here.

Shawn - nope, not touched it yet. I'm having a typically crazy week at work so haven't really given it any thought. I'll just order from Dr.ATV I think and wait for it to come over the pond.
What's frustrating me the most is the Jerry Rigging of these things. I'm sure most of the time it would have been easier to buy the right part and fit the bloody thing....

hondamanshawn
10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes you are right but some people just cut corners...well I hope you can get your machines in order that way you know it's done right if ever have to fix anything again. As far as the pipe for the 125 maybe stalk eBay and just wait for it to get shipped to you in the UK? I hope you find everything you need.

TwoBobRob
10-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah - I'm resigning myself to that. I have seen some on Ebay USA.

Just got to play the waiting game sometimes I think. These parts always show up eventually - usually when I have no money!