PDA

View Full Version : 83 atc 200, 200e, 200s, 200m ???

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 12:15 AM
What is the difference in these models. Been looking on the net with no luck. I just picked one up, and its going to need some wiring replaced / fixed, but need to know which model it is. I know its not the X model, thats the only one I know. Just got it home tonight, no pics yet. Thanks in advance.

Bren_downe
10-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Atc 200, basic no e start, no racks I believe. Don't quote me on that.
200e, e start, pull start, high and low range, no reverse. Front and rear racks."Big Red"
200m, e start, pull start. Rear racks I think an front racks optional?
200s , pull start only and rear racks optional.
They were all chain drive.

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Atc 200, basic no e start, no racks I believe. Don't quote me on that.
200e, e start, pull start, high and low range, no reverse. Front and rear racks."Big Red"
200m, e start, pull start. Rear racks I think an front racks optional?
200s , pull start only and rear racks optional.
They were all chain drive.

So if mine has the hi/low range, its the e model? Although it has no front rack, just a rear, but it could have been removed.

Bren_downe
10-16-2013, 12:46 AM
So if mine has the hi/low range, its the e model? Although it has no front rack, just a rear, but it could have been removed.
Correct, is it chain drive? 200es is high/low/reverse and shaft drive

MNhondaguy
10-16-2013, 12:55 AM
The tag on the neck will say, and the vin on the neck can also be decoded on here. The 200ES came out in 84. The 200E was an 82, 83 model year BigRed.

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Just checked. It is chain drive.179062

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Picked it up today for $420. Only problem is that when you press the starter button, if you hold it down more than a couple seconds, one of the wires starts smoking. Melted some of the coating away, could see the wire get red hot if you held it down for more than 2-3 seconds. I did see it run though. Any ideas there?

Bren_downe
10-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Nice score. Def a 82-83 big red 200e. I'm not much of a wiring guy but there is some really smart ones on here. I'm sure they'll chime in soon or you can start another thread.

Big G
10-16-2013, 12:08 PM
If that's the original tank, then it's an '83 200E Big Red ('82 200E Big Red had grey/black decal on tank). Nice score! It's missing the front rack which was stock on these models. You should be able to find one in the classifieds section of this site, or eBay.

There's a lot of electrical guru's on this site...someone will be able to help you diagnose that wiring problem.

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
The wire seems to come off the battery and into the starter button.

Bren_downe
10-16-2013, 01:06 PM
You can download your manual here for free;
http://www.atcmanuals.info/
I'm not sure but I think there's supposed to be an inline fuse in there.

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Yea. Looked at that last night. Haven't got it apart yet, but still doesn't explain what is causing it. It would just blow the fuse

kb0nly
10-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Which wire exactly is burning up?? The way it works is the start button actually switches the ground for the starter solenoid, there is not power to the start button. The fuse is in the supply side which goes to the ignition switch and from there to the light switch and the rest of the controls.

You didn't mention, did the electric starter run at all? If not, i would guess you have either a bad solenoid which is on the back of the battery box, or you have a bad starter and its stuck. If you want to test the starter take the cable off the stud on the starter and then use a battery jumper or a set of jumper cables and try to spin the starter over by giving it power, do it with the ignition off so the engine doesn't start if it does spin over. Just hook one end of your jumper cables positive to the battery positive, it will be grounded through the frame so you only need the positive side for this test, and then touch the other end to the terminal on the starter.

If its popping the fuse though i would bet you have a bad solenoid. On the starter solenoid you will see two small wires and the two larger cables, one goes to the starter the other to the battery, the two small wires are power from the ignition switch and the wire that goes to the start button on the handlebars, when you push that it provides the ground and completes the circuit. The only way the wire could be getting hot and smoking and blowing the fuse is if the solenoids coil is shorted and its making it a dead short to ground when you push the start button.

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 08:15 PM
it was the green / red wire that runs to the neutral switch it seems which is supposed to go right to the starter button from the schematic. Yet someone had spliced in the ground wire that runs to the starter relay in a since bypassing it I'm assuming. In the process now of fixing this mess. Maybe it has a bad neutral switch and thats why they bypassed it. This would make the wire hot seeing that there was no resistance in between it when turned on.

kb0nly
10-16-2013, 08:32 PM
The neutral switch is a switched ground also... When in neutral it grounds the green/red wire and that give the ground source to the start button, this is to prevent from running the starter unless its in neutral.

If they spliced in a ground wire its probably because the neutral switch is bad and they couldn't get it to ground the wire when in neutral. But, check it out if you got an ohm meter. See if the wire to the neutral switch is grounded to the frame when in neutral. If the switch is bad other than replacing it you could just leave a ground spliced in since the 200E doesn't have a neutral light up on the dash it wouldnt be nuisance, just have to make sure you don't push the start button while running and in gear... LOL

mayhem17
10-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Meh, I just put it all back to how it was supposed to be, put a new plug in it. Fired right up with no wire heating up issues. Dunno why the wire was heating up before so much it would glow red. Oh well, doesn't do it now. Although now that I took off the seat and such for the first time to check it all out, realized that I have no air cleaner box... lol. Gotta find one of those now.

kb0nly
10-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Could have been a bad connection that you ended up fixing messing with it. Thats how electrical stuff goes, drives ya nuts!