PDA

View Full Version : 1985 225 dx - clutch and final drive question

bsdwiz
10-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi,
Awesome site and I've already learned a lot from it!

I grew up riding dirt bikes and quads but I just bought my first 3 wheeler. A blue 1985 225 dx. It is awesome! It's in good shape and runs almost perfect. I purchased it from the original owner and it came with all the original paper work and shop manual. I even have the original bill of sale. I'm going through it doing some maintainence that I'm sure hasn't been done in years. I changed the oil connected the gas tank (he had a small mock tank on it as it was winterized and he didn't want to put fuel in the real tank which was clean and empty). All the plastic is good, no smoke out the exhaust, engine sounds good and starts first or second pull, shifts great and idles great. The airfilter was nasty, the metal inner tube frame was rusted so I ordered a new one and am waiting for that to arrive. In the mean time, I want to change the final drive oil. I see 80 weight hypoid gear oil or 80w-90 is recommended. I went to loosen the drain and fill bolts but damn they seem tight! I couldn't get them to budge and I didn't want to keep cranking for fear of stripping them. Also, at low RPM say going low RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear the clutch seems to slip for a second or two until the revs get a litle higher in which case it grabs and takes off. It never happens if I run it a bit more aggresively. So my two questions are 1) Any recommendations to get the bolts out to change the final drive oil? And what's up with the clutch issue I describe? When I'm ripping around or even driving moderaly aggressive it's never a problem but when I'm going slow and easy it seems to slip sometimes. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and it came with a brand new axle still in the box.

Thanks!

dougspcs
10-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I'm sure you know this since your dirt bikes have the same requirement..but you did you a wet-clutch approved oil when you changed it right.

The other possibility is that the PO didn't know and used the wrong oil..

Try running it for a bit until the new oil has a chance to circulate thru the clutches..

If the symptoms don't stop after a bit of riding then it maybe time to replace the centrifugal clutch pack.

bsdwiz
10-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks! I'll check that out. I just got the final drive oil changed. Just took some crankin, the oil I replaced didn't look too bad and it was full so I was happy to see that :)

bsdwiz
10-16-2013, 11:24 PM
btw, I changed the oil the other day and put in valvoline conventional 10w-40. that ok?

dougspcs
10-16-2013, 11:46 PM
btw, I changed the oil the other day and put in valvoline conventional 10w-40. that ok?

No, every machine with oil-bathed clutches should get a 'wet-clutch' designed oil.

Conventional oils can contain friction modifier to reduce engine wear..these modifiers can cause clutch slippage and wear.

These clutches need there to be friction to operate correctly.

Best change your oil to ATV/Motorcycle oil rated for wet clutch and ride it a while to get it circulated.

Hope this clears it up.

bsdwiz
10-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks for that info. I'll change it ASAP.

Ghostv2
10-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Next time you cant get a bolt or something out of an engine you could try this, i saw it on a show about cars. It might work but it might not depending on where this final drive bolts are, i dont remember.

They drained the coolant out of the radiator and let the engine heat up then they were able to get the bolts and studs out of the heads without snapping them off. They also replaced the coolant with something else while they heated the engine up, i dont know what it was. Just something cool that might work, who knows.

King Trikester
10-20-2013, 10:48 PM
My 225dx has the exact same problems, I used yamaha 10 40w oil but I'm not sure if it was the proper oil, I will have to Change it and see if it helps. I also could not get my plug out for the rear end, I broke two Allen keys, maybe applying a bit of heat might do the trick. These are great machines you will enjoy it.

bsdwiz
10-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I changed the oil and it seems it might have helped a little bit. It barely slips so I think I will run it for a while. She seems to be running pretty good. An occasional mis at low rpm but it doesn't happen often. So far I have changed the engine oil and filter, replaced the spark plug, changed final drive oil, replaced rear tail lamp, re-adjusted brakes, cleaned out airbox and put in new air filter, rigged up a zip tie for a choke lever, soaked the fuel petcock in oil and got it working(was seized), replaced fuel lines and fuel filter , and replaced needle valve in tire that was cuasing a slow leak. sometimes on startup it smokes for a few seconds but not to bad and it isn't using any measureable amount of oil. I've ran about a full tank of fuel through it so far. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

King Trikester
10-23-2013, 02:00 PM
great to hear, what type of oil did you use im going to change mine

bsdwiz
10-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I used the yamalube 10w-40. It's atv specific oil. Not sure if I should have used 20-40 or 20-50 though... I think I'll be good considering I live in Wisconsin and it get's cold here!

King Trikester
10-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Ok, that's what I used as well, mine doesn't slip very bad just, but I believe the centrifugal is starting to go