PDA

View Full Version : 185 Mind boggling Issues, Please HELP.

Illcochy22
10-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Have a 185 honda, Was driving it around one day hauling hay and just died. No spark what so ever. Did some looking around here for similar issues and couldnt fine much for this trike. But anyways pulled out the manual and tested the exciter coil and get nothing. Pulled it apart and ohmed the coil. Nothing. So I replaced it. New coil ohming at 260 plus so good coil. But having same issue again. no connection between ground and the wire for the coil. But I get continuity down the wire from the plug to the coil. Did I purchase a faulty coil in some way or am I missing something simple? Please help. Ive officiall ran out of ideas. Thank you.

ps2fixer
10-20-2013, 08:17 AM
If i'm following you right, you replaced the coil (for spark right), what about the exciter coil that tested bad too? Anyway, I'm probably just reading it wrong and you're current setup ohms fine for them 2 coils, next thing I would target is the CDI since they are quite old, and I know the 200es model has issues with them every so often, so I would suspect the 185 CDIs are about the same.

Also another thought, rather you replaced the coil or not (for spark) it will need a good ground to work right. Might be a fair idea to take it off the machine and file the metal where it grounds to for a solid connection.

On a side note, I have a parts 185 if you need parts. Motor didn't have any compression when I got it, suspecting a stuck valve, however it sparked well.

Illcochy22
10-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Well I figured out my issue. Some how both coils went. I couldnt get ground to work so I backtracked it into the lighting coil. And guess what? no connectivity between the wires on the other coil. So in one shot both coils went. So Ill have to get another replacement.

ps2fixer
10-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Wow that is quite strange O.o. Maybe something shorted out? Might be a good idea to check over the wiring and attempt to find the root cause.