PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki KLT 250 Tranny/Clutch Problem

Hurricane892
10-20-2013, 02:12 PM
I recently bought an '85 KLT 250 that runs great, but there seems to be an issue in either the transmission or the clutch. It's stuck in 4th gear, I believe. The odd part is that the shifter will go down, but won't go up. No matter how much I've tried to downshift, it just won't.

The reason I think there may be a clutch issue is the fact that there was no oil in the tranny, so I'm hoping the clutch is just stuck.

Is this a common issue? What could it possibly be? What may be a rough estimate on parts to fix the issue if I need any?

Hurricane892
10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Someone has mentioned that it could be a bent or broken shifter fork. Does that sound like a decent possibility to you guys?

Hurricane892
10-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Have yet to open the crankcase/transmission... Any info that would help me with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

threewheely
10-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Must be a kawi thing I just posted about my 85 klt 110, when I bought it, was stuck in second gear, and the guy busted the shift shaft trying to bang it out. I replaced all broken parts and clutch plates, put it back together, it shift's half of the time, but some times you have to rock the shifter by hand to get into a gear. When I had mine apart found no shavings in pan could see the gears, found no broken teeth, so wandering like you said about shift fork's can not check them without splitting the case. sounds pretty much like the same issue. hopefully one of us figures it out. Best of luck.

barnett468
10-31-2013, 01:44 AM
remove the clutch and look at the shifter arm on the shift drum and drum rollers. watch tgis area as you try to shift it. if there is no prob here then disassemble cases.