PDA

View Full Version : *** 1984 Honda 200es front fork ***

bkvette3
10-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Good day, all.

Just got my '84 200es back from the local Honda dealership today - clean bill of health although they advised me my front forks/shocks had minor play/wobble in them. My question: are the shocks replaceable/rebuildable??? Will other years/models interchange??? :wondering
Thanks in advance. BK3

ericmreimer
10-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Swapping to a 200m front set of forks is a fairly common swap. I have 3 of the same bike and only one has a good set of forks. These are a really bad design for this bike.

The inner gas shock is the only item that is not rebuildable on the front end. I've heard of people having pretty good luck with cleaning them out. This is only really worth the time if chrome on the forks where the seal rides is in good condition.

Here is a break-down diagram and parts list of the items needed. They list some of the more sought after parts as being in stock but this is in the UK and really expensive too.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc200es-big-red-usa_model963/partslist/F++05.html#results

coolpool
10-22-2013, 10:33 AM
I have a set of 85 BR forks on my 84. I don't know the exact steps to make that happen since I bought it that way but does it ever work nice.

P.S. Refrain from having dealers look at your trike unless you don't like money! Most of their techs have never seen one before unless there middle aged. There's enough good advive on here if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves and digging in. What part of Sask you in if you don't mind saying. I head to Lloydminster quite often.

oldskool83
10-22-2013, 12:57 PM
i meet somone 2 weeks ago never ever heard or saw a 3wheeler until they seen mine. dealer ship is not the place for a trike unless is there to promote attention to the sport.

bkvette3
10-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Swapping to a 200m front set of forks is a fairly common swap. I have 3 of the same bike and only one has a good set of forks. These are a really bad design for this bike.

The inner gas shock is the only item that is not rebuildable on the front end. I've heard of people having pretty good luck with cleaning them out. This is only really worth the time if chrome on the forks where the seal rides is in good condition.

Here is a break-down diagram and parts list of the items needed. They list some of the more sought after parts as being in stock but this is in the UK and really expensive too.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc200es-big-red-usa_model963/partslist/F++05.html#results

Thanks Eric - appreciate the diagram of the front shock assembly. This helps out a lot. BK3

bkvette3
10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I have a set of 85 BR forks on my 84. I don't know the exact steps to make that happen since I bought it that way but does it ever work nice.

P.S. Refrain from having dealers look at your trike unless you don't like money! Most of their techs have never seen one before unless there middle aged. There's enough good advive on here if you don't mind rolling up your sleeves and digging in. What part of Sask you in if you don't mind saying. I head to Lloydminster quite often.

Hello Pete. You are absolutely right. When I dropped the 200es off @ the dealership on Monday morning - a couple of the young techs who helped unload "BIG RED" off the truck kind of had the "WTF is this" look on their face. Pretty sure they had never seen one before - maybe just read about them LOL. BTW - I reside in Regina, Sask. BK3