PDA

View Full Version : big red rear axle problem

vjettaw99
10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
i have a 85 big red,i have the whole rear axle apart and ready to change the bearings. first off the bearings had to be beaten out and it looks like the outer race is still inside each bearing housing so new bearing wont go in. i am not sure if these ridges or rings if you will belong in there because with those in there the new bearings will never go in. so i figured these were the old bearings stuck inside because the old bearings came out in pieces. i tried soaking,heating and banging these (ridges) but nothing is moving. can someone tell me if the housings should be smooth and these old bearings are stuck or should here be these lips or (ridges) in side? please help!!!t 179325179326179327179328179329

Flyingw
10-22-2013, 09:35 PM
The axle tubes where the bearing reside are smooth. Do you have a torch? propane torch? or something to heat up the brake panel? Get a drift and rest it against the inside of the race and hit it around the ID of the stuck race. Heat will help this effort. After you get the races out, Smooth the inside of the axle tube with some sandpaper. Smoother the better. NOW, When installing the new bearings, freeze the bearings over night. If you can get away with it, put the axle tubes in your wifes oven, heat the axle tubes up to about 200deg. Let the axle tubes heat for about an hour. Wear gloves. The bearings should slide in easily with little pounding. Whatever you do, do not paint the inside of the axle tubes.