PDA

View Full Version : Yeah I know, more questions.....

MasterYota
10-24-2013, 08:28 PM
This here project I am building utilizing a 200s engine requires me to make a new head pipe to clear the swingarm and other objects and exit where I need it to. My question is this: What is the preferred head pipe size for good torque and decent scavenging?

I planned to wrap the pipe, as it exits near the seat and I don't want my pants catching fire, so length vs. scavenging + retained heat comes into play here. I see some using the Hooker Header 1.375 U bend from jegs/summit. I also plan to use a shortened 2 brothers street bike muffler to quiet it down a bit, I want low rumble, not pissed off bumble bee.

Also, what would be a good method to reproduce the stock flange set up? Sleeve and weld 2 tubes together, or make a small flange the length of the original spacer?

Jerm1179
10-24-2013, 08:51 PM
what are you doing? puting a 200s in a 200x? use an aftermarket X pipe?

MasterYota
10-24-2013, 10:15 PM

Letting the cat out of the bag. Came with a CVT 150cc, putting a 200s with fresh 200x top end, new valves and HD clutch springs. Just about got everything nailed down, just need to plan exhaust, oil cooler, shifter cable and jackshaft.

LastFoolerInVA
10-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Wicked kart!!!! She'll love that 200 motor... you may need to play with the gearing to get it right tho...

Ghostv2
10-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Normally im against people using trike motors for various other stupid stuff, but that is one sick go-kart. If you even can call it a go-kart. I was looking for a while for a 2 seater go-kart sized buggy with front and rear suspension. Most only have front suspension. And the nicer ones cost a lot but come with smaller displacement engines.

Is that a buggy you customized or did you make it? Or the person you got it from. I see similar ones for sale with the same frame and style, just slightly different.

MasterYota
10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Wicked kart!!!! She'll love that 200 motor... you may need to play with the gearing to get it right tho...

Already addressed that, the stock was 3.9:1, I dropped to 6.2:1 with adding the jackshaft, with an easy change to 5.6:1 if that is too low. My main concern was the increased weight and the auto clutch.

Is that a buggy you customized or did you make it? Or the person you got it from. I see similar ones for sale with the same frame and style, just slightly different.

It started out as a Yerf Dog 4209, and along the way evolved into what you see now. I did all the work myself including the engine mounts, which were a PITA, BTW. I have to order a few things for the engine to run(CDI, coil, and such) but should be burning gas shortly. The stock engine was a Howhit 150cc with a CVT, I loathe CVT's, so it got scraped and sold shortly after I got it running. I chose this engine due to it being available for less than a body part, the auto clutch, and the notoriety of the older Honda singles. I initially kicked myself because I drug a decent 200sx to the road shortly before buying the buggy. I have looked at adding the Goki starter kit, but can't stomach the price right now. I may add an electric reverse to the jackshaft later on down the road, but that is in another forum, lol.

The engine had its fair share of issues already, cracked R/H case half, rusted cylinder, grenaded pull start guts, and pulse generator woes as well, but it should be good to go once it's running.

Back to the subject, I can get my hands on some pre bent 1.25" .085" wall thickness thanks to another builder close by, which would be an upgrade from the 1" it came with. I would use the stock pipe, as mine is still in decnet shape, but I need to run it out and around, rather than over the engine case.

Ghostv2
10-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Should of put a fl350 motor in it, you would be the coolest kid on the block and that thing would fly. Plus its already set up for a buggy, no hassle.

MasterYota
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Should of put a fl350 motor in it, you would be the coolest kid on the block and that thing would fly. Plus its already set up for a buggy, no hassle.

I don't like 2 strokes, or CVT's, and I'm a big dude, so torque is a must. I had tossed the idea around of using an RM80 engine, but I would have to be screaming all the time to do anything. Plus, aren't all the ody motors set up for CV axles? Plus, I am already in warm water over here for using this one, what would the ody guys say about losing one of the few remaining cases to me?

Honestly, if I went much bigger, there would have needed major design changes to the overall frame to handle the power increase, above what I have already done to handle the speed and proposed use for this frame. Which is trail riding. Here on the east coast, we have nice tight ATV trails, and I wanted something capable, yet nimble enough to go where they go.

If I offended anyone with the use of the engine, or the hacked up 200s frame in the background, I am sorry, but this thing was far beyond resurrection when I picked it up, not that anyone would want to on a pull start only, low compression guy like this one. One thing I have found, is these ATC engines are damn near unbreakable, and being inside the case recently, I see why. The next build won't use an ATC, I promise. I actually want the 400 or 700ex in my next buggy.

MasterYota
10-27-2013, 08:46 AM
So no pipe size recommendations?